Accessing files on Digital Camera

Guest FoxInSocks

Guest FoxInSocks

I´m new to using Linux and am running Mandrake 10.

At the moment I want to access files on my digital camera. Once i connect the camera to the usb port an icon appears on my desktop, which lets me open up flPhoto.

The icon being labeled dynamic_proc_bus_usb_002_006_dynamic.desktop

I can then view and transfer .jpgs stored on it with flPhoto, but can´t view or transfer any other files on there, be they .mov files the camera can record or random small files i can put on it treating it like a usb storage device.

I´ve looked around forums and most solutions to this sort of problem involve mounting /dev/sda1 or sdb1. None of the sd devices seem to exist for me, even when the camera is connected and i can´t work out if mandrake is even giving the camera a /dev/ of any sort.

I have a Kodak Didgital camera( cx6230).

Could someone please tell me what to have a look at and where to start to get this working.

Thanks if you can,

Fox

Guest FoxInSocks
I use gphoto2 which is a command line app that lets you get your photo and video files from your camera. I think is on one of the cds, so install it via urpmi and then do a 'ghoto2 --list-cameras' to view all the supported cameras.

Hurrah.

:D Thanks very much, I installed gphoto2 and after it refusing to do anything other than tell me the camera was there, gave me ptp errors. I reconnected the camera a few times, then it worked like a charm. I can get a listing of, and retrieve all the files. Haven´t tried to upload files or mess with the directory structure on the camera with it yet though, should work though.

Thanks again.

If anyone knows how I´d still like to be able to mount the camera if i could, or a least find out if it gets given some sort of /dev/ address.

Maybe Kodak´s PTP protocol doesn´t let you.

Thanks,

Fox