File Manager Super User Mode in Mandrakelinux 10

jmr0311

Hi guys, I found a little something in "Here" that you can use to create a File manager super user icon that allows you to launch your file manager(ex. konqueror) from a GUI interface for you to manipulate files and folder withing konqueror file manager with root priviledges. But there is a problem that the author comments about in regarding this which is that when you want to edit a content of a file you get an error in opening that file with kwrite or any other text editor of your predilection. Apparently there is some command/attribute that needs to be add to allow this interaction between konqueror and kwrite. This is where all the Gurus can help, trying to make this work for people like me and all the others that likes GUI more than command line, Don't bashe me I'm also working to improve my command lines skills. Thank you all.

Javi

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

Until I have time to work this out, if you need file editing capability, use the original configuration as follows:

General

Title: File Manager Super User Mode

Long Title:

Command: konqueror

Extended

Attribute: kde_opt

Value: \\nEncoding=UTF-8

\\nDocPath=konqueror/index.html

\\nX-KDE-SubstituteUID=true

Attribute: kde_filename

Value: konquerorsu

I haven't used KDE in a while, but I'll give this a shot. It seems like the configuration I quoted is for the old method of Supe Would that cover it? Why the new method?

Alternatively, would you be able to apply such a configuration for kwrite? i.e.:

General

Title: KWrite Super User Mode

Long Title:

Command: kwrite

Extended

Attribute: kde_opt

Value: \\nEncoding=UTF-8

\\nDocPath=???

\\nX-KDE-SubstituteUID=true

Attribute: kde_filename

Value: kwrite?

I'm thinking that if you can launch Konqueror in su mode, why not kwrite? Again, I don't really know, I'm just thinking out loud here. I'd definitely suggest that you check out the forum over at kde-look.org; I never had good success getting answers to my questions, but perhaps it's in the search pages....

Let us know if we can help any more! And if you figure it out, it'd be great if you posted here for thoroughness. :D

oula. sorry but this looks very complicate to me.

you can also just run

kdesu konqueror

that will ask for your root password then lauch konqueror as root. looks too simple ? I tested it this morning B)

Detailed HowTo:

select the normal konqueror icon (the house),

right clic, copy

anywhere on the desktop, right clic, past

enter a new name for the new icon file

select the new icon

right clic, property

Application, enter "kdesu konqueror" (without the quotes)

Ok, save

done :)

if you want a desktop icon for Konq in superuser mode, do the following..........

(please note, i'm going from memory here, so you may have to modify some of this, but it's easy enough to figure out)

right click the KDE desktop, choose "create new"->"icon"->"application" (or something very similar to that) name it whatever you like, in the executable tab use the following as the command....... kdesu konqueror ............. then choose an icon of your own desire, "apply", "ok". now, when you click on it, a password dialogue box will open up asking for the root password. enter it & Kong file manager will open in superuser (IE: root) mode & you will be able to manipulate any file you desire.

conversely, if you don't want to clutter your desktop with an extra icon, you can accomplish the same thing in terminal (or Konsole). as normal user at the prompt type kdesu konqueror (hit enter) & the password box will pop up, then open Konq in superuser mode. or, in terminal su to root & just type konqueror & that will open Konq in superuser mode without asking for a password.

also, you can add a shortcut (if you like) somewhere in your Kicker menu using the same command for the executable. right click kicker "K" (or the star), choose menu editor, click the "add" button, fill in the blanks as you did for the desktop icon, click "save" when done.

Chris