Codec confusion

Latem

Hello, I have MPlayer, Totem Movie Player and Xine installed on my computer.

I tried playing a .rm file, and all of them complained about not having a codec. Totem was asking for "cook.so.6.0" and "drv3.so.6.0". The other ones didn't provide the specific file names just said something to the effect of "dont have a codec for that".

Anyway, I dled the essential codec pack from MPlayer's site.

In it there are 8 .so.6.0 and 1 .xa file, including the cook and drv file. There are also a bunch of Windows files (.dlls, .qtx and such).

My question is what am I supose to do with those 9 files. Where am I suppose to copy them?

I have tried coping all over the place in lib dirs and such, and nothing worked.

I thought there was an rpm for the essential pack. I think I remember getting it some time ago when I was using RH8, but I am not sure if I remember correctly.

I could be wrong.

Any help is much appreciated.

Latem

the easiest way i've found to get MPlayer working flawlessly is to go to Easy URPMI & set up PLF, contrib, & main sources. then use Mandrake Control Center->software installer & search for Mplayer. get all the PLF Mplayer apps. then search for codecs. get all the codecs from PLF & a few you'll find in contrib. it will all set up itself. you might have to manually choose your audio & video drivers in Mplayer preferrences, but via the above method Mplayer should be able to play any file type you throw at it. the following packages are what's needed.......

mplayer

mplayer-gui

mplayer-skins

win32 codecs

divx codecs

xmms codecs

there may be another one, i'm going from memory. basically, just get all the codecs packages that come up in the search.