question on resizing a partion

eroica

Correction re AcronisPartitionExpert

In May of this year, I downloaded a demo version of AcronisPartitionExpert that was disabled in the way I described in a previous post in this thread. That demo apparently can still be obtained as a standalone program at the URL

http://www.acronis.com/files/partitionexpert2003_d_en.exe

Clicking on this link should open the download manager of your browser and download the PartitionExpert installer for Windows. As I said, this program is disabled and completely safe to use; it also doesn't seem to expire with time.

Since May, Acronis appears to have changed their policy about program trials. You won't openly find the standalone demo of PE on their website anymore, at least I didn't. Instead they now offer a free download trial of Acronis Disk Director Suite which includes PartitionExpert. I haven't installed that package but from the download memo it looks as though that might be a time-limited trial (perhaps 15 days) of the fully-functional program. In that case you COULD make changes to your disk, and as such the program would not be purely diagnostic and safe.

Robert

yeah i got to the boot prompt. and when i hit return it starts the bootup sequence with messages flying fast & furious. and then the startup just stops and the message i stated above is on the screen. I have a dsl connection so it takes me like 15mins 2 download so maybe i'll try redownloading a new iso. the md5 sum stuff is a little beyond me so i never download the checksum. I burn the image w/software i got w/hp 8500 external cd burner. it pops up little message saying it is an iso and do i want to burn the files in the iso and i say yes. I did same thing w/mandrakemove iso and that works ok...

alan

Checking the integrity of a downloaded ISO file is extremely simple, Alan. Usually the md5sum of a given ISO file is published on the ftp site from which you're getting the ISO, in the same download directory.

In the case of SystemRescueCd-x86-0.2.14, the md5sum is

0d1a4582d2ebe2fbf318fb15a9e9b77d

Once you have the ISO file on your disk, open a console, navigate to the directory where your downloaded file resides (e.g cd /home/eroica/Desktop or whatever) and type

md5sum systemrescuecd-x86-0.2.14.iso

After a short while, the console will report the md5sum of the ISO you downloaded. If it matches the above md5sum, then you know that you've got a good copy of the ISO file.

It's more common that an ISO file gets corrupted when it's burned to CD than when it's downloaded from the net on a broadband connection. Try to set the write speed of your CD-Rom drive to less than the maximum (e.g. if the max is 40x, burn at 32x or 24x), pick good quality media, and don't run any other program while the CD is being written.

If you have Mandrake running on your machine why not use K3b to burn your CD (Tools > Burn ISO). K3b is an excellent CD burning program. You can find it on the Mandrake menu under Applications or Utilities or perhaps System > Archiving.

I'm ashamed to say but my main PC that is connected to my dsl is Windows 98. I just started in w/Linux about 9 mo's ago. I had an old PII laptop so decided to teach myself Linux. I do have wireless on my laptop(what a fiasco that was getting that atmel chip set 2 work on the Thinkpad) but no cd-burner. I may just try burning another copy and see if that solves trouble....

alan