Yv2 now available

Guest zammin

Guest zammin

I wanted to post an announcement, that 22 Distributions have

been exhaustively tested. Results and comparisons can be located

at www.yoper.com. Interesting results for Mandrake 10.

Best regards to Linux users.

zammin

I wasted my time going there. They are full of so much bru-ha that I thought I was on a Windows website. They love themselves so much its embarrassing.

I tried so hard to be accepting and understanding but it was impossible.

Like Microsoft, they did the settingup and they did the testing. So of course they would come out the best wouldn't they.

John

Edited by AussieJohn

Linux Distributions need to stop competing against each other and focus themselves on Windows. Who cares which Linux distribution is faster? If anything, all I care about is what makes one distribution different from the other...compare the tools that are specific to the distribution.

Points to consider when choosing a distro...

1) How easy to install and does that matter to you?

The easier it is the less likely it will be a 'different' personalised type of distro.... Gentoo is the ultimate for this, they dont even want to tell you to use X... (:D) slight irony... but seriously the more the distro makes you think about setting it up the more its likely to be more easily customisable to YOUR wants and needs...

i.e LFS, gentoo, slack

this is a tradeoff. Mandrake sits kinda midway.. since it does give soe defaults but these are simple to change with urpmi... :D

(Id stick deb in with mdk here)

2) How long does it take to install....

this is a total red herring....

Take knoppix based distro's .... you can use em without any install at all. My fav kanotix takes a while on my DVD burner (possibly 40 mins or so) while it expands the files etc. but when its finished i have exactly the system I want. (almost)

traditional installs like Mandrake can be made very quick but so what it takes away the good parts....

network installs of course take longer... especially over dialup but....

again so what... everything will be up to date!

default desktop....

no no no ... I never wanna use a default desktop... I wanna make it ME... if I wanted to be a drone Id still be using MS!

lots of pointless speed tests....

well if you wanna see about this then see what kernel tools the distro provides...

check out hdparm etc.

what works on one disk/PC might not on another...

mandrake are very conservative but its literally minutes to use hdparm to optimise reads!

If you want more patches inthe kernel then patch em... most importantly (and a poor point for MDK) is clearly documenting exactly what patches are applied to which kernel sources etc.

package management....

this is number one for me....

Ive found urpmi and apt and emerge all change the way I use linux.

they have strengths and weakenesses depending on what kinda server/workstation your running but both are MILEs ahead of tracking down deps yourself.

support community....

lets not knock it this board is one of mandrakes best resources!

like tyme says they should stop competing...

A quick look at a few man pages shows how to tweak a few metrics for perf testing... also like he says SO WHAT!!!!

If yoper wanted to do any good they might publish HOW they get these results and let us choose if we implement them....