Firefox Install Help

Guest Blue Storm

Guest Blue Storm

Sorry, very new to Linux and still thinking in a Windows sort of way.

I downloaded the Firefox tar.gz from mozilla.org to home/user/Documents/Programs that I had created. Not really knowing what to do next I found the guide in one of the forums here and extracted the contents of the tar.gz, opened the linux console and navagated to the resulting folder. I then typed ./firefox-installer-bin like the guide said and it all seemed to be going well.

Now this is where my Windows thinking came into play, obviously in Windows when you instal stuff it goes to C:/Program Files but there is no such thing in Linux (I dont think). The installer defaulted to the same location the binary is in in my home folder (which, thanks to Windows seems like the wrong place to put it, never install programs into your own personal folder), a look around didnt turn up where programs are stored. I decided just to go for it and the installer started working until just near the end when the message Ćouldnt open xpistub library pops up and then closes.

Any help on clarifying the Linux install experience for me would be great.

P.S I entered US International for my keyboard on instal and I seem to have lost my apostephes, is this a feature of this keyboard layout or is something amis?

The install process usually puts a program in the /usr/bin directory.

Open a terminal and type: whereis <programname> (in this case Firefox or firefox as Linux is case sensitive) If it just returns the name then it hasn't been installed. The apostophies I can't help you with.

The FireFox installer for the current build assumes you only want to make it available to a specific user unless you put it in /usr/bin, if you are the primary/only user I would just put it in /home/username/firefox, which is what I did. Of course you can set it up so it will be available to all users if you need to.

The FireFox installer for the current build assumes you only want to make it available to a specific user unless you put it in /usr/bin, if you are the primary/only user I would just put it in /home/username/firefox, which is what I did. Of course you can set it up so it will be available to all users if you need to.

I installed FireFox too, as I have been meaning to for awhile and it installed in my home directory and popped up and I'm typing on it now. How do you get an entry into the menu to click on it?

Simplesy way, right click on the KDE/Mandrake kicker button and choose menu editor, create a new entry where you want it and save it. The default icon for FF is saved as an .XPM so if you want to change it either find one (KDE-Look.org has some) or do what I did and convert the current one with the Gimp. Good luck.

And if you get over-zealous and screw up your menu with too many tweaks you can restore the default menus as well.

Hi VICKI. This is a little involved but not really hard. First look in the firefox-installer and look for < firefox> and make a note of the path to it by reading the line at the top of Konqueror e.g. in my case it is /zstore/Firefox/firefox-installer/firefox. Write that line down which is on your computer on a piece of paper.

Now close out all of that.

Open Mandrake Control Centre (It will ask for your root password)........System............Menus. A pop-up panel will ask you which do you want to Edit .....System Menu or Root Menu . Select System Menu and after a couple of little happenings, Menudrake will open up for you.

In the section titled Enviroment : kde, look down and find <Internet> and double click on it then you will see <Web browsers> and double click on it also then you will see a couple of web browsers such as Konqueror and Mozilla plus maybe others . Now highlight <Web browsers> using just a single click on it. Now here is the happening part.

Click on the Green Cross titled <Add application> and you will now see three names

Title: type in Firefox

Long title: leave blank

Command: now type in exactly what you wrote down on that piece of paper (Later when you get used to it you can use the browse button at the right to select where you know the application to be located. Not the Folder but the actual active application)

You now click Save at the top.

If you have done it all correctly then when click on Star then Internet then Web browsers you should see Firefox listed and most importantly when you click on it, it should open up for you.

It is most likely that you would prefer an Icon on the Desktop or on the Panel for convenience.

Using Konqueror again go back to where you found firefox and just to be sure that you have correct item just click on it and if Firefox opens up for you then you know that you have located the correct item. Close Firefox (the now opened browser) left click on and hold down the mouse key to do a DRAG of the item either on to the Desktop or the Panel, your preference, and release. A small panel will pop up, Click OK. The panel will disappear. Now right click on the icon you just created and click on the icon shown on the pop up panel and this will take you into the Icon files. Click on Other icons and then Browse. Use Browse to take you to the location of your firefox-installer and look for Chrome.......Icons............Default and you will see the Firefox icon. Double click on the icon and it will take you back to the original panel where you again click OK . Now it is all done. This the way to do it for anyother applications you may install and which don't show up in the Menu or on your desktop etc.

Although it seems lengthy and long winded it really is quite simple, easy and quick to do once you know the routine. Happy Firefox hunting.

John.

Guest Blue Storm

I managed to fix my apostraphes, yay.

I'm still having this problem when I try to install Firefox, I run the installer OK but it is still not able to open the 'xpistub library.' If anyone can tell me what that is and how to resolve this I would love you.

I managed to fix my apostraphes, yay.

I'm still having this problem when I try to install Firefox, I run the installer OK but it is still not able to open the 'xpistub library.' If anyone can tell me what that is and how to resolve this I would love you.

I have looked at this link

and it doesn't show that lib as required. So I did a google search and found that others were having the same problem This thread might have the answer for you. Good luck.