Mandrake 10 and Mail

Pierre04

Greetings,

Total noob - had mail working fine in Mandrake 9.2... heard some good things about v10, so installed it (several times now) and having some issues with the Kontact and Evolution mail clients

Setup all of the apparent mail settings - Same settings used with Mandrake 9.2 "KMail" and get alsmost immediate failures! Kontact says - Unknown host pop.mail.com

Evolution says - Error whild "Fetching Mail': Host lookup failed: host not found

I figure that I missed something, or I am fighting a 'bug' that needs an update.

I have been through the system config, and I am using the same info in all dialog boxes as appropriat for pop and smtp settings...

Pretty confused right now... (grin)

Anyone able to shed some light?

TIA!

Is this a general networking issue? i.e. can you browse the web or ping a site?

If you cannot, but can reach a site by IP address (for example http://216.239.59.147 should give you google), you have a domain name resolver issue.

If this is the case, you need a valid nameserver address in /etc/resolv.conf. The format is

nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Chris

Well, I got so disgusted, I installed RedHat 9.0! I am so smart... The RedHat actually *sucked* for me... Didn't see the network, wouldn't allow the ATI AIW graphics driver to install...

So I just reinstalled Mandrake 10 - and voila! it's working perfectly now... go figure... perhaps the reformat of the partitions with RedHat, then Mandrake cleared out something left over from v9.2

In any event, thanks for the help!

I am up and fully functional at this point.

Anyone want to buy some RedHat ISO CD's?!?!? (grin)

L8ter...