how do I install my serial modem?

Guest bailout

Guest bailout

I have just installed mdk10 OE and cannot get my modem to work. I had it working in mdk9.1 but cannot remember how I installed it.

It is a usRobetics serial modem which I got specially for linux to replace my internal win modem. I seem to remember that it installed automatically in 9.1 which is why I find it strange that it doesn’t in 10.

During the installation I configured the internet settings and the process correctly identified the modem. I inputted my isp details and the internet settings were described as configured. However when I try to connect through kppp it displays an error message concerning the modem.

I looked in the hardware configuration but the internet dialog is just a repeat of what I did during installation. The list hardware section doesn’t show the modem at all so I think the problem is that the modem is not installed despite it being identified during setup.

I know that serial modems are supposed to be easy to use under linux but I cannot figure out how to get it installed.

All help appreciated.

I have not tried my USR5686ext with ML-10. Interesting. Where does /dev/modem point to?

file /dev/modem

will tell you. ttyS0? Has it been ttyS0 in the past?

Using the cat command in the /proc filesystem should reveal something, I'd hope.

Edited by bvc

The first thing to get out of the way is 'instalation'. Basiacly all you have to do to install a serial modem in linux is plug the thing into a serial port, an outlet, and a phone jack, then create a link from whatever serial port it's connected to (usualy /dev/ttyS0 if you have only a single serial port and it's attatched to you motherboard directly).

That's it. If you've done that, it's installed. And best of all, that symlink is NOT required if using kppp, you simply tell kppp to use the correct serial port and symlinks be damned.

Now that the least likely problem is taken care of, I suggest you post your error mesage so folks will have a fighting chance of helping you. It would also be VERY helpful if you mentioned what ISP you're having dificulty with.

Guest bailout

Many thanks for the help. I looked in kppp and it was pointing at /dev/modem so I changed it to /dev/ttySO and it now works, in fact I am writting this reply in konq.

thanks again for having the patience to help a dumb noob :jester:

Edited by bailout

for your convenience and the use of any other programs with might want to access themodem directly, you should create a symlink called /dev/modem that points to /dev/ttyS0

I don't know why the mandrake installer sometimes fails to do this, but it's easily corrected.

Of course, if all you use your modem for is internet via kppp, don't worry about it. But any fax or telnetting program will look at /dev/modem by default.