Console (F1-F6) Sessions Unreadable

Guest CsHoSi

Guest CsHoSi

Hi, I have another slight problem with my new Mandrake 10.0 Official installation.

When I switch to any command-line console the screen is filled with "||" vertical bars like that and in giant text I can see the login prompt flashing. I can log in but the console is unusable like that. Also, when I shutdown or reboot the computer it goes to a console screen and the whole screen flashes with what look like "*" asterisks before it goes down.

I think it may have started happening after I installed the Nvidia driver. Video adapter is a GeForce4 MX400.

Has anyone experienced this before? Can it be remedied? Thanks, I tried searching but I my choice of keywords didn't return anything related.

Guest CsHoSi

Thanks, I will try to recompile the kernel after I learn a bit more. For right now I think it's fine since my brother has no need to drop down to console.

The effects of disabling bootsplash are pretty straight-forward, but what about the framebuffer? I read on tldp.org that it provides a generic interface across all platforms and allows a penguin logo. Just trying to decide if I should stick my finger in it or leave it alone.

Thanks again,

Corey