Booting Runlevel 5 problems:

lawsonrc

BACKGROUND: I have MDK10 OE Powerpak downloaded from Mandrake Club.

I tried installing the NVIDIA driver for 3d Acceleration; however I wreaked havoc on attempting shutdown, so I did CTRL+ALT+F2 and killed X to go into init 3. I then uninstalled it with the command:

nvidia-installer --uninstall, which worked correctly.

PROBLEM: Now whenever I boot into MDK10, it boots only into runlevel 3 and won't allow me to boot automatically into runlevel 5. Everytime, I have to login in as user and then "startx".

And when I want to shutdown or reboot, I get back into a terminal screen have have to login as root and type "shutdown -r now", shutdown -h now", or "reboot".

This is becoming a real pain.

Do I need to copy a file or log for further help?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

Hey Spineynorman,

Superthanks!

In Mandrake 10 OE it is different:

MCC > Boot > Autologin > "Launch the Graphical Login when your system starts" and "No, I don't want autologin" (unless you really do).

There is no more Drakthis, Drakthat. I tried several options and Autologin was my last one. So for me it wasn't a logical place to put it. Maybe for others it is.

I sure liked the MCC in 9.x much better in two columns. I hate the new one that is trying to mimic Widows 9x and XP's Control Panel...and not successfully so.

Much obliged! (as my country North-Texas grandmother used to say from late 1880's to 1975).

Richard L.