Graphic startup...

Guest bolanski

Guest bolanski

I hope this post fits the software category.

I have installed Mandrake 9 a couple of times and the bootmenu/startup has been diffrent whitout me knowing why, Once I got the old fashion text boot stuff and the next time I got the text inside a graphic border.

First Id like to know how to get it like that (text inside graphic) since im doing a new install on a new computer. And its a notebook and I want the load part to be a bit more graphic and cool opposite to my webserver that has a place in the closet and no X.

Then Id like to know if this graphic is skinable or changable. And if there is work done to get a non text mode or If its possible allready.

I would like to make a completey graphic load and mabey have icons for the diffrent parts of hardware and software being checked.

mabey this allready exist and im stupid or this is beeing worked on.

I have a Mac OsX at work and I really love the first grapic that appears (before the OSX loads) its a clean grey apple and some kind of round progress meter spinning... thats kinda what I like to have untill gnome loads. Well skip the apple but the clean loadimage is neato.

offcourse Id like to be albe to get the textstyle boot for errorchecking and such but not always.

/andy

I have installed Mandrake 9 a couple of times and the bootmenu/startup has been diffrent whitout me knowing why, Once I got the old fashion text boot stuff and the next time I got the text inside a graphic border.

First Id like to know how to get it like that (text inside graphic) since im doing a new install on a new computer. And its a notebook and I want the load part to be a bit more graphic and cool opposite to my webserver that has a place in the closet and no X.

You have to choose LILO WITH GRAPHICAL MENU. You can probably set that at the install time but I don't remember (I last installed Mandrake September 27th .. lol). But once the computer is up and running you can easily change that by openning the Mandrake Control Center (MCC), clic BOOT and then BOOT CONFIG. Then you'll have to clic the CONFIGURE button and choose LILO WITH GRAPHICAL MENU from the drop down menu. Then clic ok and blablablabla. This should gives you some text with a graphical contour when you boot.

Then Id like to know if this graphic is skinable or changable. And if there is work done to get a non text mode or If its possible allready.

Yes this is possible. There is a post here talking about that --> http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...&highlight=lilo

I would like to make a completey graphic load and mabey have icons for the diffrent parts of hardware and software being checked.

mabey this allready exist and im stupid or this is beeing worked on.

This was like that in Mandrake 8.1. The package doing that was called Aurora. I'm sure you can install that in Mandrake 9 but never try.. I'm happy with the boot process and I don't boot too often anyway. Make a search for AURORA.. this is what you are looking for.

Hope this help

MOttS

If you have bootsplash installed you can change the splash screen presented with Lilo

I found the scripts and things for changing the theme for lilo in /usr/share/bootsplash/scripts/

I don't have much experience with using the themes, nor was I able to find any good documentation. I even managed to get the theme changed, but for the life of me I cannot tell you how I did it or what I did. Maybe someone with a bit more experience with bootsplash can clarify further.