disabling touchpad on laptop

imwithstupid

I have a Dell inspiron from a couple of years ago and it has some problems. The biggest of which is that the mouse pointer drifts around the screen as a result of something being broken in the touchpad. How do i disable the touchpad (short of cutting wires) and only use a mouse that's plugged into the PS/2 port?

What make of inspiron? I have a 5000e, and if an external ps/2 mouse is plugged in then that automatically disables the touchpad. If the mouse is still floating around then, then there might be something more wrong...

There should be a way of disabling the module in your XF86Config-4 file, though. Can you post the contents of the sections headed Section "Module", Section "InputDevice" and Section "ServerLayout" and we'll go from there, unless anyone has a brighter idea!

Guest SuSUconvert

Plugging in a mouse should disable the touchpad

Also, in my experience, a drifting mouse is much more often caused by a faulty/loose connection on the PS/2 port than by a touchpad (touchpads tend to either work or not -- not this in-between stuff).

Edited by SuSUconvert