aRts: Permission denied on startup

xoox

Hi.

There are two users on my system. One (user A) can play sound without any problems. But since this morning, the second user (user B) does get this message when KDE is launched:

Error while initializing the sound driver

device /dev/dsp/ can't be opened (Permission denied)

I'm not aware of having changed anything in this regard. Nevertheless, there were some strange things going on after logging in as root and using IceWM yesterday: After logging out the KDM color scheme has changed to the colors root is using with KDE. And after I've logged in as user A (into KDE), my language settings had changed.

Is there any coherence between these events?

/dev/dsp points to /dev/sound/dsp The owner of this file(?) is user A. The group is audio.

Can I just add audio to user B's group and make /dev/sound/dsp accessable for the group audio or will this change back next time I reboot Linux? I ask this because Mandrake seems to reset many files, permissions and also my KDE-Menu settings and my mimetypes after a while. (I know about the tool to change the default permissions in the controle center... but this does not work very well).

Btw, I'm using Mandrake 9 with KDE 3.0.5

Thanks for any help

Hullo

I am a little paranoid (who said that) Have you considered running a firewall? Or at least a test of any open ports?

Try www.auditmypc.com or www.pcflank.com

I am a newbie but its possible that your pc has been penetrated using either a rootkit or trojan blah blah blah.

Can't help you with the sound issue except to say you may want to look at your permissions and check mandrake control centre and see if sound is currently RUNning for the needed user.