audigy sound card help!!!!!!

Guest slyfox_00

Guest slyfox_00

I am new to linux..... starting to hate it... I cant get my sound to work..... and is there any way to run programs without haveing to type stuff in the console to run it and keep it open???

have you tried locating the programs in the menu? if you install the programs through Mandrake Control Center -> Software -> Install Software it should add a menu entry to your KDE (or perhaps GNOME - depending on which you use) menu. Installing them via source means you'll have to add the entries yourself. You can do this via the menu editor (which should be in your menu's under configuration).

As for your sound, you'll want to go into Mandrake Control Center -> Hardware -> Hardware List (I believe that's it) look for the sound card and make sure the module chosen to load for it is snd_emu10k1 (or perhaps snd-emu10k1). then, if that's correct, run kmixer or aumixer to unmute/turn up the volumes. For some reason volume is muted by default in MDK 10.0.

welcome to the board, feel free to ask questions and we'll do our best to help you learn to like linux ;) it'll be a slight learning curve, but believe you me it's worth it!

Maybe you also have to change the sound architecture. Go to kcontrol (in console e.g. or via the menu entries), select sounds -> sound-system and check, if the tab "hardware" in the right window shows ALSA or e.g. OSS. Try ALSA first, if that doesn't work, try the other ones, but ALSA is most common.