Installed Crossover, now Mozilla can't download files

Guest josetann

Guest josetann

Ok, I installed Crossover Plugin 1.3.1 and the quicktime, windows media player, and shockwave plugins (and tested, they all work fine). However I now notice when I click on a download link, nothing happens. Right-clicking and choosing save link target as doesn't work either. Right now I'm having to right-click, copy link location, open a terminal, and do a wget on the file. The only thing I did to the mozilla install besides crossover, was edit the pluggerrc file to comment out quicktime (then touch the plugger.so file per the codeweavers instructions).

Any ideas?

Guest josetann

Well I ended up just uninstalling and reinstalling mozilla, everything seems to be working now. I hope this doesn't happen again, during my tinkering I lost all my bookmarks and other settings :(

You did, eh? Well, be proactive => backup. I usually make a copy of the whole user directory under .mozilla somewhere on my repository partition (actually a separate big HD), once a while.

I also make a backup of the whole user directory, before upgrading (usually clean install), and then get only files that I need from the backup.

You did, eh?  Well, be proactive => backup.  I usually make a copy of the whole user directory under .mozilla somewhere on my repository partition (actually a separate big HD), once a while.  

I also make a backup of the whole user directory, before upgrading (usually clean install), and then get only files that I need from the backup.

You should always backup unless you don't mind losing what you have :wink:

That is good advice.

But it seems odd that you lost your mozilla profile.

When i have upgraded my profile always remains, i have never reinstalled though.

Have you looked through the /home/your_username/.mozilla directory

mozilla may have created another profile for you, your bookmarks are kept in a file called

bookmarks.html(i know it's amazing :P ).

Guest josetann

I thought something in the .mozilla directory might be messing it up so I copied it to .mozilla.bak then deleted .mozilla. Still didn't work. But when I restored the .mozilla.bak directory, it seems it was actually an old backup I made, shortly after I installed Mandrake 9. Luckily I've found the links I really wanted, but now have a new problem so I'll have to make a new post :)

By the time I get everything running just the way I want, MDK 9.1 will be out.