Desktop Options

rockybalboa

When I installed MDK 10 oe I used default for most graphic options. I could be wrong on alot of this; but, I believe that the desktop I wound up with is an amalgamation of KDE 3.(2?), anyway it's KDE and it seems to have a bunch of Gnome stuff thrown in.

What I want to do is setup separate desktops one pure KDE, one Gnome, and then one of the lightweight options (IceWM, etc..), so I can see which one best suits my use. Honestly, I can't tell all the specific KDE, Gnome features. Does anyone know how to set this up? This just for comparative purposes, so I'd rather not go into editing pre-existing items. I want to play with the options, but it will be too new to me to mess around changing or scripts.

Thanks

DW

Errm.. why do you want to set up completely separate desktops? :screwy:

Most applications (like Open office or Gimp) can (and should be, IMHO) be run from fluxbox, xfce, kde, gnome and others alike. The multiple use of qt and gtk is one of the main strengths of linux. And if you are in e.g. kde, why shouldn't you be able to run, say mozilla or sodipodi? If you simply want to remove some menu entrys, then use the menudrake to set up individual menu-structures.

Edited by arctic

yes, it can be done but why? That's a lot of trouble to have everything still there but just not obviously there....if you know what I mean? It will also require the editing of a lot of things. The one that 'best suits your use' is the one that has the best and most apps that you enjoy using to get the work done the most.

If you have broadband or running default off the cd's then it can be done real fast and easy....just uninstall all the others...your preferences will be saved for when you reinstall. Problem is, draktools and drak'stuff' uses gtk so you can not totaly get rid of it. Which means you'll secifically have to hunt down and uninstall gimp and other gtk apps to get a non gnome env. Oh, and icewm uses gtk so you can not get around it there either. You can run icewm-light w/ no integration to gnome but it'll still be gtk.

Personally I hate it to but I like having the choice. The only kde app I use is k3b. When I use kde, the only gtk I use is xmms and gimp. Why? because there are a few apps for which you have no real good choice. I like uniformity on my desktop.

Edited by bvc

I guess it's because I have read listings from Gnome fanatics, KDE fanatics, fluxbox.., etc. and felt like I was missing something. But it doesn't look like it. And frankly after the description it looks like a big pain in the arse. I doubt I'll follow through with this idea.

Thanks for the advice, you guys saved me headaches,

DW

it's mainly about the file manager, the various themes for the widgets, or the functionality. just try them, don't go tryint to make the exclusive of each other ;)

believe me, once you login to gnome or fluxbox you'll notice that it's not quite like KDE.