kde won't start, help me please

brucedjones

i just updated kde and it wont start from the login manager so i tied starting from fluxbox. this is what i get when i try startkde in fluxbox, (ignore the kwin bit thats just cause i got fluxbox running)

xset: bad font path element (#181), possible causes are:

Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions

Directory missing fonts.dir

Incorrect font server address or syntax

xset: bad font path element (#181), possible causes are:

Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions

Directory missing fonts.dir

Incorrect font server address or syntax

startkde: Starting up...

kdecore (KIconLoader): WARNING: Icon directory /home/bruce/.kde/share/icons/Alth eae/ group not valid.

ksplash: WARNING: KGenericFactory: instance requested but no instance name passe d to the constructor!

QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used

kdecore (KIconLoader): WARNING: Icon directory /home/bruce/.kde/share/icons/Alth eae/ group not valid.

kbuildsycoca running...

kded: WARNING: KGenericFactory: instance requested but no instance name passed t o the constructor!

kded: WARNING: KGenericFactory: instance requested but no instance name passed t o the constructor!

kdecore (KAccel): KeyModule::init()

kdecore (KAccel): KeyModule::init() - Load Included Bindings

kdecore (KAccel): KeyModule::init() - Read Config Bindings

kdecore (KAccel): KeyModule::init() - Write Config Bindings

kdecore (KAccel): KeyModule::initModifiers()

artsd: relocation error: /usr/lib/libmcop.so.1: symbol _ZNSt15_List_node_base4ho okEPS_, version GLIBCXX_3.4 not defined in file libstdc++.so.6 with link time re ference

kwin: it looks like there's already a window manager running. kwin not started.

Could not open library kdesktop.la: /usr/lib/libkonq.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN 9KIconView21contentsDragMoveEventEP14QDragMoveEvent

kdesktop: relocation error: /usr/lib/libkonq.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN9KIconVi ew21contentsDragMoveEventEP14QDragMoveEvent

Could not open library kicker.la: /usr/lib/libkonq.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN9K IconView21contentsDragMoveEventEP14QDragMoveEvent

kicker: relocation error: /usr/lib/libkonq.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN9KIconView 21contentsDragMoveEventEP14QDragMoveEvent

/home/bruce/.mdkonline should be set to TRUE at /usr/bin/mdkapplet line 115.

KWrited - Listening on Device /dev/pts/3

ouch... cooker. well, it looks, as if you are in real trouble. never touch cooker except you are an expert and really know what you do.

sorry man, but i can't help you on that one, cause i dunno what cooker files you got and how complete it is and blahblahblah... :unsure:

Try a new user (create one) and see if you can get in with the new user. If you can, then edit the .kde file in your /home directory with the contents of the new user. If a new user can't get in, then be sure teh entire list of files was added as listed at kde.org. The depends are sometimes messed up in cooker, so there may be a missing update. Finally, you can reinstall kde from the cdrom, using "force". This is an acceptable time to use teh "force" switch. B)

ok i removed kde and am installing the mandrake rpms from kde.org which werent there before i started with cooker... using a different user didnt change nething btw but i guess that doesnt matter not :), thanks anyway