ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 driver

jbarry

I have a notebook with the ATI mobility radeon 9000 graphics card. However, I downloaded the iso's of Mandrake 10.0 so I got the warning in the install of "may not work with ati drivers". Is there a way I can still get the drivers? I have looked at sagernotebook.com which has the windows drivers for my machine but I can't find the linux ones.

Thanks

I have this graphics card in my laptop. You can do one of the following things to get it working

1. Ignore that message during install. Choose autodetected settings. After XFdrake offers you to setup your laptop to boot directly into X, say "No". You will boot into the console and will have to start X using the startx. You will be able to change that later on, after you're happy with your config. It's very likely that your card will work. If X doesn't start for whatever reason, kill the X server (press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace). This will return you to the console. Login as root (su), and run XFdrake again, this time try other options (other drivers). After XFdrake finished, exit and start X again as user.

2. You can download and install the ATI driver from ATI or from Mandrake Club (if you're a member). I use the version from the Club, and that's the worst part of my experience with mandrake. I never tried the driver provided by ATI, can't comment on that.

3. If you have Knoppix LiveCD, boot from the CD, save /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file created by Knoppix to your harddrive, then copy relevant settings from this file to the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 which mandrake created for you during install.

An interesting thing, I had 3D acceleratin working with knoppix and Deb's radeon driver, but the same XF86Config-4, gives me only 2D graphics in mandrake.