Installing Mandrake 10.0 on Compaq laptop

Guest jostby

Guest jostby

I have been purchasing the boxed versions of Mandrake Linux for years, and am now (finally) able to use version 9.2 on my desktop computer without too many bugs. Still, it doesn't work well on my Compaq Presario 3000 laptop. I can only get it running with the vesa video driver.

I absolutely refuse to spend much time fiddling with Linux, dowloading, installing, tweaking . . . . To me Linux is a tool, not a hobby, and I have much, much better things to do.

If I get Mandrake 10.0, will there be drivers that will allow it to work right out of the box?

Thanks,

jao

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman - welcome to the board :)]

Notebooks and Linux are always a little tricky.

Here are some tips:

1. If the notebook has Firewire, then boot linux install with no-auto option.

2. If notebook has a connexant modem chipset, download the drivers from connexant. There is a WIKI page that you can check out (I know, different notebook, different distro) but the tips are worth checking out, as they almost certainly will get you past *most* hiccups. The site is available here

Regards,

Armond

Notebooks and Linux are always a little tricky.

Here are some tips:

1. If the notebook has Firewire, then boot linux install with no-auto option.

2. If notebook has a connexant modem chipset, download the drivers from connexant. There is a WIKI page that you can check out (I know, different notebook, different distro) but the tips are worth checking out, as they almost certainly will get you past *most* hiccups. The site is available here

Regards,

Armond

My laptop has firewire, may I ask, what does that option do?

Ello

One of the major issues when installing Mandrake on a notebook is it hangs when there is firewire onboard. The no-auto option just tells the installer not to probe these *unkown* devices.... Getting the firewire to work after the install is not a major problem.

Regards,

Armond

Guest jostby

Thanks, but no firewire. -- No conextant modem either.

I was just wondering if 10.0 now has drivers for laptops. I simply don't want to go through all of this hobbyist stuff.

:mellow:

JAO

I have an HP pav laptop that has run mandrake 9.2 and 10.0. It installed pretty close to flawless (iand I didn't have to do anything to get around the firewire). I have a ATI radeon 7500c vid card. Only trouble in 10 I have is with some functions of the touchpad. This did work fine in 9.2. Even my wireless nic setup great. It makes me happy:) I think the hardest part was package selection... Good Luck, HP and Compaq are kind-of-cousins, so I hope it goes well for you.

Guest jostby

Well, 9.2 worked, but only with the vesa video driver, and I didn't get as far as checking sound, the modem, etc. I did try downloading some drivers that someone recommended, but I don't know if I picked the correct package, and when I tried to install them, I got into the usual mess that I have gotten into for years. I won't go into it; suffice to say I just don't want to do all that. Perhaps I could figure everything out, but it would take me days--even weeks--and even if I got the video resolution where I wanted it, I suppose next I'd face the same mess with other components.

I remember thinking--when the notion of Linux on home computers first took hold--that it's got to be as user friendly as Windows :tm:. Now how in the world can Linux ever be successful if you can't even run it on many laptops? It's as simple as that for most people. Either you can, or you can't, and for most of us who have no inclination to fiddle around with Linux, we can't. -- I've messed with computers since before the IBM PC, programmed in assembly, BASIC, C, and C++, but those days are over, and I'll be darned it I'm going to get sucked into the guts of Linux.

Anyway, for me either Linux is going to work out of the box, or it isn't. Simple as that.

Thanks for the suggestions though, and maybe someday Linux will work out for me. I hope so, because I have become a fan of it on our desktop computer.

JAO

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jostby

Hurray! 10.0 works on my Compaq Presario 3000, with the 1024 x 768 75Hz flat screen setting.

I had to fiddle around a little with the menu (can't remember exactly what now -- think I had to ignore something or other), but it does work.

JAO

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jostby

Okay, one last note. I remember what I did. During the installation, I tried many times to set my monitor to flat panel, 1024 x 768, 75 Hz; and, every time I tried to test the setting, it didn't work. (Same for all of the other monitors I tried.) At last--in frustration--I chose the monitor and DIDN'T test. Voila! It worked.

JAO

Edited by jostby