acpi in mandrake 10 powerpack

Guest vpn

hi

I have HP compaq nx 9010 laptop and have (after using the "noauto" option

during loading) installed mandrake 10 (powerpack).

I want to get the acpi working. i notice that the lilo.conf has a line

"append= devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda8 splash=silent"

Is it enough if i change the "acpi=ht" to "acpi=on" in the above line?

Can some one tell me what "ht" means and what the "splash" item indicates?

(hda8 is my swap partition).

thanks

vpn

ht=acpi during boot 'only'

yes, usually

acpi=on

is better.

splash=

I'm not an expert on it, but I know that if you have

splash=silent

you'l have fb (framebuffer) during boot....nice background etc.....

splash=quiet

will give you the good old black and white.

Thanks, bvc.

Does "acpi during boot 'only' " mean that its gets turned off after booting?

Also, does resume refer to the power management or any other functionality?

I had earlier loaded fedora core 1 (before mandrake 10 was available)

on this laptop and I had no problem with acpi activation.

(i had edited the grub.conf file to add the "acpi=on" in its kernel parameters).

I removed fedora and installed the newer mandrake since i am a mandrake fan!

I am trying to be absolutely sure about my move because its not my laptop and I am doing

it for someone else who needs to get these fixed. I dont want the laptop to freeze after

activating the acpi (something i've been reading a lot in these forum). Of course, these

are specific to the laptop models and hence I want to know:

Has anyone out there got acpi working properly with mandrake 10 on a HP compaq NX 9010?

Another problem I see is that there is no provision for root login in the graphical login mode

in kde! I have to either switch to command-line mode or su after logging in as a user!

Can I get the "login" and "password" prompt in the graphical login window? (This provision

exists in my mandrake 8.1 in my home PC).

thanks in advance

vpn

Does "acpi during boot 'only' " mean that its gets turned off after booting?

Also, does resume refer to the power management or any other functionality?

Another problem I see is that there is no provision for root login in the graphical login mode

in kde! I have to either switch to command-line mode or su after logging in as a user!

Can I get the "login" and "password" prompt in the graphical login window? (This provision

exists in my mandrake 8.1 in my home PC).

I d/k :unsure: I don't have a lappy and one of the first things I do is acpi=on and take the resume out :D ....I figure, I didn't need it b4 so....

In kde's control center (kcontrol from commandline)>Sytem>Session Manager (I think) >in the user tab you can allow root in the login

;)

Since someone will no doubt come along and say 'you shouldn't login as root!....you should open a terminal and su to root and run your programs from there'.....let me say it for them...Oh, I just did....ok, well, I say do what you want to do :P

Open up KDE Control Centre. (Configure your desktop)

Select SYSTEM then Login Manager. then click on ADMINISTRATOR MODE and type in your root password. Select the USERS tab. You will see a heading called Select Users: underneath it you will see Hidden Users. In it you will see root has been ticked so UNTICK it..

Click on Apply and close out .

Now open MCC (Mandrake control Centre) and click on SYSTEM and then Display Manager and select KDM (KDE Display Manager) and click Apply and close out.

When you next log OUT you will see ROOT as one of your log IN options.

Cheers. John.

• 1 month later...
Guest LINUXBOY
Open up KDE Control Centre.  (Configure your desktop)

Select SYSTEM then Login Manager. then click on ADMINISTRATOR MODE and type in your root password.            Select the USERS tab.            You will see a heading called Select Users:          underneath it you will see Hidden Users.  In it you will see    root  has been ticked  so UNTICK it..

Now open MCC (Mandrake control Centre) and click on SYSTEM and then Display Manager and select  KDM (KDE Display Manager) and click Apply and close out.

Cheers.                          John.

Thanks, AussieJohn. I appreciate people like you who "plainly" spell out in these forums what we need to do to manage our Mandrake systems. Thanks for not being so technical. That is very refreshing!

Guest LINUXBOY
Open up KDE Control Centre.  (Configure your desktop)

Select SYSTEM then Login Manager. then click on ADMINISTRATOR MODE and type in your root password.            Select the USERS tab.            You will see a heading called Select Users:          underneath it you will see Hidden Users.  In it you will see    root  has been ticked  so UNTICK it..

Now open MCC (Mandrake control Centre) and click on SYSTEM and then Display Manager and select  KDM (KDE Display Manager) and click Apply and close out.

Cheers.                          John.

Thanks, AussieJohn. I appreciate people like you who "plainly" spell out in these forums what we need to do to manage our Mandrake systems. Thanks for not being so technical. That is very refreshing!