Questions questions

clevedonal

I have downloaded Mandrake 10 official - all 3 iso files (on my hard drive) md5 sums are good. when i try to check CD md5sums, results seem different? burnt using Roxio (as iso's/images).

Would i be able install all the goodies were i to burn all 3 cds onto one dvd?

There are worrying tales of troubles posted in this board regarding 10 crashing/locking up/upsetting windows during the install (though i am sure many more successes)... i wish to dual boot with a brand new win2000 install, with mdk on my second (40gb) hard disk. i'd hate to have to re-install windows again/again/again... family will be most irritated :angry:

i know i should just go for it... but after all my work i'd hate to :oops: my efforts

suggestions for partition sizes please?...

and i just stuck in another 512mb ram (total now 1gb) - is mandrake 10 ok with 1gb ram?

athlon 1350

1gb sdram

46gb (ide1: Master win2000 ntfs) + (ide 2: sl) 40gb (empty/ 11gb+28gb fat 32 partitions currently, i wanted to leave one fat 32 for shared files)

nvidia 64mb

soundblaster 5.1

liteon cdrw (ide 2 M) + creative dvd (ide1: sl)

logitech cordless mouseman optical (on ps2 port)

(these new folks are sent to try you)

that'll be me...

thanks folks!

Linux will call these: hda= win2k. hdb=burner, hdc=dvd, hdd=extra hard drive

Partitions using 28G partition on hdd.

/=5G

/home=8G

/usr=14G

swap=500MB

As far as lilo/grub and boot loaders, windows does not play nice. But, you are using a second hard drive, and the risk is greatly reduced. I have been using lilo forever and the only problems I have ever had were when I repaired windows (reinstall) it tries to take over the entire drive, computer, my life, and wants to "fix" the mbr by reformatting everything. So, remove lilo before working with repairing windows, and it will play nice.

You will at some point in time have to reinstall windows, through no fault of linux!

B)

Thanks for your input Ixthusdan. :thumbs:

i'll keep your partition info in mind....

i am aware of having to re-install windows periodically - and keep a box full of cd's just for this event, but it gets tiresome inserting driver & software discs, rebooting, drive cleaning, defragging etcetera etcetera etcetera....

no probs with 1gb memory i guess... ? i am pretty sure the hardware is ok as i was running 9.1 for a while but cleaned up both h/d's with a view to installing mdk10. spring cleaning.

:D