FC2 & winXP

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well to update what I have been doing here.

I have FC2 running on here (laptop) all by its self so it works just fine.

I installled it on my gaming machine with dual boot XP and I can boot into XP just fine and PM 8 works just fine this time on the XP side. No more 117 error when I start it. What I did right no there was correlty this time did the "linux hda=CHS" command at the very first boot prompt.

Installed on my wifes machine, the one where the XP install was hosed up and the geometry was hosed up. This time checking the bios for the HDD setting to change it from auto to LBA. Did the correct "linux hda=CHS also. It boots fine into XP and PM 8 also works without error 117.

Finishing up an install on my file server also. Changed the settings in the bios from auto to LBA, did the correct linux hda=CHS command at the boot prompt on install and that also is working just fine. Even PM 8 on there too.

So that means that all my machines here have FC 2 on them. Except the wifes laptop which really doesn't run very well with Linux because it onl y has 128 meg of ram. Don't care what anyone says, its slow with only that amount. Plus the wife thinks so too. :P

It was just a matter of me taking my time and reading a little closer to what had to be done and doing it correctly. Would I still expect a newbie to do that? Sorry, but No and yes. Its easy to follow along, but Im not sure I would expect a newbie to go through that.

FX