DSL on Linksys Router

wrenhunt

Not sure if you guys can help with this or not, but here goes - I'm running PPPoE on my Linux box with just the PC and the DSL modem and everything works great!

Now I want to be able to stick a DSL Router between the DSL modem and my box so that I can hook my laptop up simultaneously. This works fine under Windows XP, but I don't know how to configure it under linux; since the router itself creates the connection (it has the username, password, IP, etc,) I don't know how to get linux to "see" that there's a ppp connection on the router (which is now the default gateway). Any ideas?

Wren

When you stick on a router, you are no longer utilizing the direct connection stuff. You are instead a part of an internal network. So, configure your box with a fixed ip (usually 192.168.2.xxx) and your mask as 255.255.255.0. If your router has a dhcp server in it, turn that on and set your box to dhcp. It will automatically configure. If needed, your gateway is the ip of the router, possibly 192.168.2.1.

I have an smc router that I've been using ever sice I've had dsl, couple of years. I think it is actually easier to connect.

Go into MCC to reconfigure your network. WARNING: it may be better to manually do this, since a large number of people experience problems with setup through MCC.

In fact, I'm moving the thread to networking!

Thanks for the advice! I think I've tried all that but I think I'm still missing something easy! I tried changing the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 BOOTPROTO parameter from 'Static' to 'dhcp' but when I restarted the network (both via 'service network restart' and a reboot) I was unable to get out to the Internet nor could I use a webbrowser to connect to the router (it's IP addr is 192.168.1.1 and the rest of my LAN is in the range 192.168.1.xxx)

In the remote possibility that I had my firewall misconfigured, I used 'drakfirewall' to allow everything and still no dice.

I didn't see anything blatantly obvious in the /var/log/messages file. I'm assuming that sense the router is configured to provide DHCP addresses in the correct range that I *do not* want to run a DHCP server anywhere else on the LAN right? Also, should the pppd and pppoe processes be started at runtime as they are now?

Thanks again!

Wren

See Gowator's sticky post at the top of the networking forum - basically, you no longer need the pppoe stuff running on your PC, as the router does this for you.

As Ixthusdan says - your PC is now just a normal node on the internal network, and should be set up as if it were connected to another PC running internet connection sharing.

You will need to check you are getting a default gateway and nameserver address from DHCP as well as an IP address - again - see the sticky posts. HEY! You could test my howto...

I am a fan of static setups for small networks rather than DHCP - makes fault finding easier.

And yes - you are right - only one DHCP server per network segment.

Chris

I got it working! Thanks in large part to Streeter's HOWTO document. I did not originally intend to use DHCP as I wanted a static IP address to punch a hole through the DMZ on the Router <--> PC, (to run web, ftp server, etc.,) so I actually have a mishmash of sorts. DHCP enabled on the box, as a client for the DHCP addresses given out by the Router, but the box itself assigns a 'static' IP in the dhcp range which the DMZ knows about. Hopefully this might help others who might encounter the same scenario.

Wren