MDK Nvidia X server mess

rockybalboa

Not sure where to post this but what the hell.

I loaded the NVIDIA drivers (5336) on a fresh install of MDK 10. As would be expected it was a bumpy ride but I finally got a working display. But now it seems that along the way the KDE log in/out interface are having a battle between them. When I start/restart it automatically starts in command mode, even though I've already set the option to boot X at start. I have to do startx at the cmd line to get X started. But after this X loads and works fine. When I log out X either hangs or crashes to command line and gives the following errors.

Warning: DCOP Communication problem
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit () pid=6571 errno=2
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit () pid=6564 errno=0
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit () pid=6551 errno=0
kde init: Communication error with launcher, Exiting
start kde: Running shutdown scripts....
Application 'mdkapplet' lost it's connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shutdown or you killed/destroyed the application
waiting for the X server to shut down

There are alot more errors regarding sound etc. but the ones above seem to be the critical ones.

I'm tempted to just stick the disks in and reload the whole thing, but that is too much like the M$ way.

Anyway, if some of you gurus can make heads or tails of this I'd appreciate it I can't start looking for a fix until I get a better idea of what's going on here.

I might mention that I was running MDK 10 with the same drivers last week, just did the reinstall due to a new hard drive. I was running kernel 2.6-9, this setup I loaded the -13 version right after install.

Another problem I may have created is that I loaded the new NV drivers by RPM first, X wouldn't work so I loaded the NV .run package and that's how I got the display I currently have woking.

Thanks to anyone who might advise me on this.

DW

moved from installing mandrake to hardware - tyme

Edited by tyme

The .run file came from NVIDIA Linux I think it's their installer.

I might not have mentioned it but I did the original install the way you recommended. How ever, the NV driver complained about wrong kernel source and downloaded it's own. I'm going to backup and remove all the stuff and start again. I know how to remove the rpm pkg, any idea how to remove the .run pkg and the NV kernel source? I just want to get it back to the way it was just after the -13 kernel upgrade, then I can start again. Hopefully X isn't corrupted.

I'll post back with the solution when I find it.

Thanks,

Dan

Weird cure, as usual

I rebooted today and the problem had cured itself

I checked and I was running the -13 kernel source

Everything seems to be working fine.

On of my next guesses would have been the fact that I installed with the NVidia installer without removing the RPM first, which was probably a bad idea. Oh well.

Having problems getting arts to run when logout/login but I think that's for another posting.

Thanks for the advice,

DW