XMMS and WMA format

deiz

I have been told it does, without plug in or with a plug in? IF I need a plug in where would I get it?

If it doesn't need a plug in why doesn't it play my WMA files? Is it a newer version, I suppose I would have had the latest version with Mandrake 10.

Thanks for any help.

Deian

1. Add PLF to your ftp urpmi sources:

http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php

2. Then install (using MCC graphical or urpmi in a terminal):

win32-codecs

Should work. This package contains a lot of codecs ... :-) You can look at the descriptions when you browse the rpm's in MCC software installation, check the box: all/more informations in the options.

well this kind of is the easy way. basically it tells mandrake where to find additional packages. It's really not that bad, follow the instructions on the web easyurpmi web page (select PLF) and it will show you add the bottom a line to type on the command line on your machine (I usually cut and paste into a shell window).

You will only have to do this process once.

When you want to install software later, just go in the mandrake control panel jsut like you would install any other software, or use the urpmi command.

An alternative is to download the package yourself, you can find it here: ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux...5-1plf.i586.rpm

after you download it, go to the command line and type urpmi win32-codecs-1.5-1plf.i586.rpm (as root) to install the package.

You will probably get a warning about bad signature (because you're computer doesn't have the plf key used for signing the packages), just continue anyway.

Edit: the link to the package I gave you is for mdk10, if you're running an earlier version, just navigate the FTP site to find it.

Edited by papaschtroumpf

deiz, sorry for my somehow short answer :unsure:

Sometimes it's not easy to realize that someone is new to Linux or Mandrake.

Follow papaschtroumpf (wow, what a name, how would you pronounce that?),

and try to find in your application menu:

'Configure your Computer', in there the software management section.

And browse (not installed) packages, you might want to look for documentation :D

it's not meant to be pronounced :) haven't ran into a user name conflict on any internet forum with that one though :)

Does anyone know offhand how to install the plf key? I remember doing it with something like wget <some url to the key> | pgp <some key install options here>

I'll check my notes tonight otherwise.

Also, I noticed that some of the packages on the distribution CDs (power pack) also fail the signature check. I guess Mandrake didn't install the keys for the different commercial apps (maybe they can't because they come from lots of sources?). The warning is annoying though.

Installing a key is easy, once you a key file. The problem seems to be getting all the right files. There seems to have been an unacknowledged screwup with the keys in the recent releases of MDK 10.

Keys are in gpg format and supplied in ASCII files. To install a key use the command:

rpm --import plf.asc

(assuming that plf.asc is your key file.

After some digging around if found the site Mandrake Secure Keyserver. You can look up a key using the 4 byte key-id code, the code that urpmi shows as a missing key, e.g. GPG#caba22ae. Typing caba22ae, the PLF public key id into the search will take you to a page with the key infomation. You'll have to cut and past the key information into an ASCII file for rpm to use. The key infrmation starts with the header:

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----

Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)

Comment: For info see http://www.gnupg.org

You can see what keys are installed on your system by using the command

rpm -qa gpg-pubkey*

. This lists all installed keys as 'packages'. E.g.

rpm -qa gpg-pubkey*

gpg-pubkey-c431416d-3db4c821

gpg-pubkey-70771ff3-3c8f768f

gpg-pubkey-26752624-3fd74faa

gpg-pubkey-22458a98-3969e7de

gpg-pubkey-caba22ae-3cf2c469

gpg-pubkey-9b4a4024-3874ddfb

gpg-pubkey-78d019f5-3fd7504d

You can use the command

rpm -qi gpg-pubkey-caba22ae-3cf2c469

to see who the keys belong to (see the Summary line).

The keyserver search page is not accessable from the top level mandrake secure pages. It should be possible to use the gpg --recv --keyserver <server-name> <keyid> to install keys, but this no longer works. It looks like mandrake is changing the way it handles keys, but has not got everything lined up yet. There are a lot of packages being signed with keys that are not included in the MDK 10.0 OE distribution as they once were with earlier distributions.

I've not included the actual PLF key file for a reason. You should get it from an authorative site, not from me.

or you can do this:

lynx -source http://plf.zarb.org/plf.asc | gpg --import

But of course, that means you trust plf.zarb.org

Thanks for your complete explanation. I didn't know about the mandrake secure server and my main problem with keys was the fact that you had to trust the source for the key. I also didn't knwo how to find the key for a particular package.

Mandrake is doing the community a disservice by not having proper signatures, it trains users to just ignore the fact that package are not checked.

Edited by papaschtroumpf