NetworkDrake

Ok here is my deal... I want a Linux OS on my laptop. I have used the Following:

Slackware 9.1

LinSpire 4.5

Debian

Libranet

Mandrake 10 Official

Redhat 9

Now I am on Redhat 9... So far I like Redhat 9 except for its lack of support... I like Mandrake 10 JUST AS MUCH IF NOT MORE, but I cannot get the wireless to work on that OS. If I could get the wireless to work, then I would be an avid mandrake user. I have tried many message boards and help sites with no info. I even started my own Technology Help Message Board: Axis-PC Forum

Anyway no info... Here is what I have...

Dell Inspiron 3800 w/ 20GN HD 256 RAM...

DVD/CD-RW Combo

600 Mhz Celeron Processor...

I have:

D-Link DWL-650 Wireless PCMCIA (Mandrake's site said it WAS compatible)

Linksys WPC11 v.3 Wireless PCMCIA (WOrks at first, but once rebooted, it is lost for ever)

Microsoft MN-520 Wireless PCMCIA

iBlitzz PCMCIA Wireless

I also have a Microsoft USB MN-510 Wireless

Any of those compatible...

My best bet is the Linksys, I have gotten it to work, then when I reboot the laptop, during bootup it says that eth0 was removed, do you want to reconfigure? I say yes, and the Linksys card doesn't show up anymore... (It originally showed up as a Tekram AIR.port, is that right?)

:help:

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

BanjoTEKE

getting it workig under network drake is unlikely...

my best experieces for wifi are knoppix (actually kanotix) and linspire (laptop)

ive found it as frustrating and random as you....

Myself and some of the regualrs here are looking into the wizards at the

moment and trying to come up with something workable...

this isnt particualrly wifi but it is possible....

i found kwifi indispensible because it at least shows connection status etc. so you can mess with the CLI tools and see if/when it works.

I can point you at the scripts that work for setitng this up for debian if you wanna hack them... my guess is a bit of work and they will go....

I hate saying it but the driverloader stuff is worth it if it works for you. It solved a 2 week headache for me !

Edited by Gowator

Oh it'll do it but not so easily as linspire (in my experience)

To be honest I cant use Mandrake onmy laptop without a kernel recompile .or disabling pcmcia. its a long story ... (RH is the same)

it works with deb based distro's (havent tried slack)

so I just used the one that worked.

my cards are badly supported (teach me to buy without checking)

but you might also find you need the RETAIL version to get the drivers... (i know it stinks)

I like mandy as a distro but I wouldnt recommend it for its wireless support.... right now. (Plenty of other reasons to recommend it but not that)

We are working on this as a non-mandrake group....

I expect we can come up with something soon but not this week! :D

Rather than keep reinstalling on your laptop why not try liveCD's

if it works in MDKmove it can work in MDK... and knoppix and itll work in debain.

at least this way you get relatively easy trials without trashing your otherwise working install.

Live CD's Stink...

Recovering Data, yes they are fine...

What I am looking for is an OS for my laptop...

I think I know the problem now though... When You go to PCMCIA in the KDE menu I get this:

"No PCMCIA Controller detected

Version 1.4"

Then a "CLOSE" button... That is my problem, because I did get the Linksys Wireless work after I resetup the laptop, then minute I reboot, then the PCMCIA Controller is gone...

No if I type "$ modprobe yenta_socket" and then "$ service pcmcia restart" I can resetup the network card again, but when I reboot, then NO PCMCIA... Wireless was NEVER the problem...

Can you guys help me with this? Is thee a way to execute those commands on startup?

Edited by BanjoTEKE

The simplest way is just the standard sysV init script.

if you put

#!/bin/bash
modprobe yenta_socket

in a file called yenta in /etc/init.d

then find Sxx_PCMCIA in rc2.d,.rc3.d and rc5.d

xx are 2 numbers

make sure you get those numbers and then make a symlink .. you need to -1 from thoise numbers so the service starts before PCMCIA to /etc/init.d/yenta

ln -s /etc/rc2.d/S(xx-1)_yenta ../init.d/yenta

then repeat in rc3.d and rc5.d

Now

check SxxPCMCIA is before Sxxnetwork

if not then it won't work becuase the network needs to start after PCMCIA

if this is the case then you need the PCMCIA symlink moving to before (alphabetically) the symlink#

WHOOOOOH

I appreciate the Help...

I somewhat makes sense... I am not that savy with Linux as of yet... I work as an NT supporter (Don't laugh)

I can try this step by step... Thanks for your help...

What does "MAKE a SIMLINK" Mean?

make sure you get those numbers and then make a symlink

Also,

check SxxPCMCIA is before Sxxnetwork

if not then it won't work becuase the network needs to start after PCMCIA

if this is the case then you need the PCMCIA symlink moving to before (alphabetically) the symlink#

Where is this located? in the same files (rc.3 etc...)?

Edited by BanjoTEKE

I think I may have the answer i am running ver 10.0 with the 2.6.3-13 kernel anif you wait until booted up all the way before inserting the card (i have the same one) it works great

Hint: as odd as this seems i did not have to do the setup for it just plug it in .... its all dhcp with a linksys router / ap

if you need exacts lets me know

hey id you read the link then you now understand runlevels and how it boots....

hopefully everything you need is ion that IBM how-to (and a lot you dont right now)

so the idea is you are just making a service called yenta.... you can call it anything but this os how everything startsup automatically in linux

its either very complicated or very simple it just depends how you look at it.

you can make a script for almost anything and if you puit it in the init.d directory and symlink it to a run level directory rc(x).d it will be run at boot.... they can be as simple or complex as you like!