wine crash mandrake 10 official

yeah!,

i instal the rpm and when I ran wine for the first time it holds, I try to kill the process using ksysguartd, but it was crazy. I try to use 'top' in console, and in a root consol. In every case it do not work, not ksysguard, not 'top' where able to load the process table.

I repeated the experiment several times and my conclusion is: there are related facts.

So wine crash and crash my control over the procesess in the pc.

I thiougth it was a problem when it try to configure automaticly, becouse the windows partition is in ntfs (and I want it independent of the windows partition). so I try to configure it manually, it didn't work.

I try also in a friend computer (wich windows partition have fat32) and the same happends. so I think is a Mandrake bug.

Does someone else have this problem? do you know how to fix it?

Ps: I aslo download the latest version of wine and install it, same happend.

Well, I tried 20040505 and I found the very same problem. Something I forgot to tell, when I said it crashes mandrake i mean this problem with the 'top' command and ksysguard. But also I mean that when I am turning of the computer it holds after 'dm', I do not remember what the first message is but, this is what happened:

shot down messages

first message [OK]

dm [OK]

and it holds there, never finish.

This only happened when I try to run wine. so it is related.

I have installed mandrake 10 OE in two computers (my ex's end mine). the both shows the very same problem, so it is not my hardware configuration.

I have tried both fake windows and real one in the configuration prosess, both has failed.

I had make it from konsole in kde (haven't try from the others)

Also I must said I am using kernel 2.4 in both computers (becouse of drivers for softmodems)

Some advice?

• 2 weeks later...

From wine site:

Ivans comment that the Mandrake RPMs didn't work on Red Hat/Fedora surprised me, so after encountering a stuck Mandrake user for whom the RPMs weren't working either on IRC I decided to check them out.

It turns out the reason they don't work on Fedora is because they don't work at all - wine.inf is in /usr/share/doc/wine-20040615 which is wrong, it needs to be in /usr/share/wine. As this file is in the wrong place Wine refuses to start on a new users account.

Once I manually copied the file to the right place Wine worked just fine.

Guest raindog

No, it's not the wine.inf file. Mandrake 10's stock wine package doesn't even have a wine.inf file to begin with (I haven't tried a more recent one.)

For me (on my Dell notebook with a 933MHz P3M, 512MB of RAM, Mandrake 10) the symptoms are exactly the same as maleck's, but only when I run kernel 2.4. When I run kernel 2.6, wine works great (shame my built in wireless goes away, though!) Crossover Office is affected the same way; haven't tried Winex/Cedega under 10.0 yet.

maleck, have you tried running one of the recent 2.6 kernels out of updates? It's not a solution for me because of the wireless card thing, but maybe it will work for you.

Guest rcascos

Hello. Well, it seems that luckily (or unfortunately) I am not the only one with this problem.

Mandrake 10 kernel 2.4.25 and wine crashes the whole system, just like malecks. I mean, it crashes 'top', 'ps' (which I noticed because drakconf stopped to work for all users but root ... yes, it is quite weird but drakconf checks if some processes are running and, because of this check, it stops working when wine is installed and crashes 'ps').

When shutting down the system the first proccess for me is httpd2 which it says [OK] and it stops in the second proccess (dm).

I haven't been able to find a solution but if the same problem is happening to many people with the same configuration I guess it is "easy" to find someone who can say what happens exactly.

Cedega doesn't work also :(

Well, I hope someone discovers what happens. Thanks.

Roberto

-------------------------------

A little update in case anyone didn't know:

http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8432

Edited by rcascos

Hi. I was too busy so I didn't have nitice there were reports of the same problem.

maleck, have you tried running one of the recent 2.6 kernels out of updates
yes, I tried the one that comes with mandrake 10, but I have a softmodem with chip intel537ep, and I only have been able to install it in kernel 2.4.x. I didn't check wine when I had have intalled kernel 2.6.x. However, my problem is I want wine to run interner explorer, becouse my brother need to browse a page that only works with it (bad programming, I know).

Thanks for the advice. I am going to check the Roberto's link above

• 2 weeks later...
Guest raindog

Well, I just tried the suggestion from the Mandrake QA wiki (it's having problems today, so the short version is, install the 2.4.22-36 kernel from 9.2 updates) and now wine/winex/cxoffice all work fine and I'm still on the net. So, at least that's a workaround I can live with till 10.1 comes out :D