x0rfbserver or VNC server -- startup

Guest the bishop

Guest the bishop

Here is my dilemma.

I want to have a headless machine that will automatically log in as "x" user and also run either x0rfbserver or vnc server so that I can remote into it and control it and also put gAIM on there for all my IM accounts. Can these be done? I've seen some comments to one or the other on a few threads, but nothing that I saw regarding auto running it.

any help for the n00b of the day question would be much appreciated. thanks guru types. Linux > windoze.

[edit: I'm running Mandrake 10]

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Edited by spinynorman

See if krfb works for for you. It's built in KDE and is the successor to x0rfbserver.

Go to the KDE control panel and select remote desktop. If it's not there you need to install it: urpmi kdenetwork-krfb.

Set it up for no confirmation of connection and whatever other options. I think there is a "start with KDE" option, if not it always starts with KDE.

You can then use any vnc client to connect to it (on port 5900). I do have problems in mdk 10 with this setup because the server tries to do a reverse DNS lookup on the client's IP address and I don't have a DNS service for my LAN, so the lookup fails.

If you're "never" going to sit at that machien though, you're better off doing remote X though, it'll be much more efficient.