Lilo configuration crashed in Mdk10 installation

Guest BoBinou

Guest BoBinou

Hello,

I tried to install Mdk10 with the regular installation process. There was Mdk 9.2 installed before and I decided not to upgrade it but simply to install the Mdk10. Everything went well until the lilo configuration :

An error has occured

Mkinitrd failed

The installation process ended and restarted the computer, and instead of lilo I had a beautiful bunch of "99" and all I could do was to restart.

I tried once again the installation, with the upgrade choice (which was very quick ;)) and I had the same error. Everytime I tried to change something or add a parameter it was the same. The only thing I managed to do was to add the Windows main partition, then I had a working lilo with only one (bad :devil:) choice...

I tried one more time and it was the same......

How can I fix my lilo ? With a floppy disk ?! My CDs are good because I already install successfully Mdk10 on 2 other machines

Boot with the first instsll disk. At the splash, hit F1, type "rescue" press enter. Remove lilo and then reinstall it. (It's a menu option) Reboot.

do you have raid or sata?

I can't help but suggest grub instead of li or lo or 99 ;)

I knew you would, that's why I didn't have to! :D

Guest BoBinou

jack, do you have the same problem as mine ?

The computer has no RAID nor SATA.

I tried what you said, Ixthusdan

I chose the menu option "re-install the boot loader"

All it said was "Added Windows*" and no linux partition. I tried one more time and first I decided to mount my partitions first (with the menu) ; my windows partitions were OK and it only recognized the first Linux partition (hda6 in my case). It should have seen hda7 (my swap) and hda8 (/home). afterwards "re-install the boot loader" did the same -> "Added Windows*" and that was all.

In the command line and I typed lsparts, and I saw that my Linux partitions are in Ext2 (I thought they were in ext3 !). Perhaps here is the problem... (lilo would not know ext2 partitions... strange !).

So perhaps I should try to re-install everything and be sure to have ext3 partitions ?! Or edit fstab by hand ? Could you advise me, because I really don't know all the Mandrake behaviour...

Edit : Thanks for your help !

Edited by BoBinou

I can't help but suggest grub instead of li or lo or 99

Does this mean that Grub is better than Lilo?

Why?

most certainly! Never failed me on 3 boxes in 2.5 years where lilo has failed 80% the other 20% it didn't just because it was replaced with grub. If you don't want to take my word for it, google/compare horror results......OR, ask Red Hat, Fedora, SuSE, and Debian why it's their default :D

Edited by bvc

Just reinstall. If it can't "mkinitrd" something is wrong and I don't think changing the boot loader will help.

Did you install on the existing 9.2 partitions or did you let mdk10 make new partitions? If you installed on existing 9.2 partitions there's a little mandrake quirk that can cause problems. Mdk10 will read the 9.2 fstab and retain all the options from mdk9.2 in the mdk10 fstab. I found that out when I installed mdk10 on my test partition which had a "noauto" option in mdk9.2 since I didn't want that partition auto mounted in mdk9.2. The install went fine but mdk10 wouldn't boot. No wonder, the mdk10 root partition was on that test partition and had the noauto option in mdk10 fstab, i.e. the mdk10 root partition wouldn't mount at boot!! Removing the noauto option from the mdk10 fstab fixed the problem.

maybe maybe not. It's obvious that the dual boot problems have increased with 10, and it's also obvious the the bootloaders are not the root cause. Whether it's the kernel, the mdk kernel, or something with mdk I'm not sure. We know FC2 had it's boot problems at release so....kernel? 2.6? Combo of things?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BoBinou
Did you install on the existing 9.2 partitions or did you let mdk10 make new partitions?

[...]

Removing the noauto option from the mdk10 fstab fixed the problem.

Yes I installed it on the 9.2 partitions but the installation formatted them... so ?!

I'll try to check if there is a "noauto" in the fstab.

The problem is I can work on this machine only 5 days a week, so my problem can be very long to solve...