LM 8.1 problems

lefthook

I reinstalled LM81 ( SGI XFS filesystem). I have used it almost an year almost without problems, but now everything sucks & falls. I have two modems connected to my machine. Can this mess all? Can one driver ruin the whole system? I have put devfs=nomount for Devfs & nobiospnp I need also in lilo. Devfsdaemon still starts running, can this suck all.

Yesterday everything worked, but when I booted again today everything falls. It started with "cannot query modem" lsmod shows module hcfpciserial (initializing). Does this mean that devfs ruins installing the module well & it doesn't get loaded?

I tried to help with booting few times & the LM starts to complain about missing files & gives unable to handle kernel paging things... 00000034111

I have been using LM 7.1 7.2 & 8.1 still Win98 needed.

have two modems connected to my machine. Can this mess all?
No

Can one driver ruin the whole system?
depends on many things. I've never heard of it with linux, but who knows.

I have put devfs=nomount for Devfs. Devfsdaemon still starts running, can this suck all.
YES

Does this mean that devfs ruins installing the module well & it doesn't get loaded?
I don't know which is screwed up. Is hcfpciserial in, or associated with anything in, /dev like a ttyS? Then yes. It could be a hcf or devfsd prob. Can you remove any symlinks associated with the hcfpciserial from /dev and see if you can boot? It's all I can think to do, other than either uninstalling devfsd and reinstalling, or using urpmi to update devfsd. Is hcfpciserial for a hcf conexant windomem?

Well, it's for ttySHCF0 <> /dev/modem. Conexant winmodem which already worked well. The next day things just didn't get loaded anymore. Hmmm urpmi, no I have only this modem & difficult to update devfs. I donnou how thabout this devfs. I read that it can mess insmods. But things gotted messed before putting devfs=unmount. Irritating if it is devfs, diffcult to update anything.