Move MDK 10 install to new hard drive

rockybalboa

Hi,

I have been running MDK10 OE for about a month now I made the foolish mistake of instlling it to my old/slow hard drive.

Now I've decided to install a new (faster/larger) drive.

By now my problem is probably obvious. Should I risk moving my MDK setup or just reinstall? Either way, I know I'm in for a little work.

I should also mention that this is a dual boot WinXP/MDK 10 setup. I want to go the least risk route. I have alot of stuff on the Win partitions that I can't afford to loose.

The one lucky part for this is that WinXP and MDK are on different hard drives and will be when I m finished. I have all the Win32 partitions shared so the data access isn't really important.

I thought I had seen somthing on this subject here before but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Any advice is welcome,

Thanks ,

DW

Her it is

/dev/hdg5 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hdg10 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
none /mnt/floppy dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hde1 /mnt/win_c vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hdg6 /mnt/win_c2 vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hde5 /mnt/win_d vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hde6 /mnt/win_e vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hde7 /mnt/win_f vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hde8 /mnt/win_g vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hde9 /mnt/win_h vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hde10 /mnt/win_i vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hdg9 /tmp ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdg7 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdg8 /var ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdg1 swap swap defaults 0 0

Thanks for looking at it.

Thanks. What kind of computer is it? Or, what type of motherboard do you have? Specific model numbers, please.

I am running an Abit KT7A, not using RAID. Athlon Tbird processor, (will be AthXP next month).

Single CDR Nothing out of the ordinary. NVidia GeForce3 if that matters. Using this machine as an internet gateway for another Win box.

Most of this won't matter, but it's obviously a custom built machine. I built it so I know most of it like the back of my hand.

Thnks

It looks like the installer detected the RAID because the devices are outside of the normal ide naming convention. I think I would use a mirroring tool to copy the hard drive with linux (hdg) onto the new larger drive. From that point you could alter the partitions according to your new sizes. The safest would be to install linux new, new partitions and all, and then copy the data you wish to save onto the new drive. The second option is what I would do. The trick is placement. With the second method. the new drive is at its final location, and so the problem is avoided. With the different naming of devices, I could only guess at the drive locations. Normally, primary master is hda, primary slave is hdb, secondary master is hdc, and secondary slave is hdd. Accordingly, your cd device is a secondary master, but I don't know what hde and hdg are! (Nor do I know what happened to hda, hdb, and hdd!) :D

the least risk? Do you have a win partitioning utility? :D

Hook up the faster hd and do a new small 300 to 600 minimal/expert mode install of mandrake. Then, if you don't have a win partitioning utility, use partimage to copy over the old install and use the new small install to edit the fstab on the old. ;) Have a small minimal rescue install is the best rescue mode there is. :)

OK I'll post the idea I've come up with for critique and fine tuning.

My idea is that I'll leave the primary master in place (it has my Win partitions, and they don't need t be moved).

I'll connect the CD as primary slave

New hard drive Secondary master (this will have fresh install of MDK 10) and old

Old drive that I am replacing as secondary slave (holds current install of MDK)

With the ability to read the partitions of secondary slave, can I copy any of the old stuff over to the new MDK install. Like a one for one file copy. Or will that corrupt the new MDK install?

I've pretty much decided to go with the fresh install. Just not sure what I can keep from my current MDK configuration. Obviously data files are easy enough to address. Just wondering how many of teh extras I've installed can be kept.

You were right, I forgot my motherboard requires RAID config, even if you use RAID 0 or what ever it is that actually bypasses RAID.

As ever, Thanks for the advice. It will keep me out of the "lost partition" club.

DW

Yes, I think that will work. When you install the new Mandrake on the new drive, your configuration will be set during the install. I would disconnect the old drive during install, and then reconnect it for copy purposes after the new drive is set up. It seems like if you copy your enyire /usr directory, and then run a menu update, you should have your programs. That is, if they ran in a standard way. You might copy non-duplicates from the /lib folder as well. I'll bet bvc could be more helpful here. Of course, copy your /home folder to get back your other stuff.

I think this will be my last question before I jump into this.

When I do the new install, is there any hazard in LILO being rewritten in the boot sector? Or will it just overwrite for the new install?

Guess either way it won't matter. Just trying to protect the existing partitions.

There has been much discussion about lilo here. I 'm one of the ones who has always used lilo and has not had any calamity! But there are many who have had issues, and some who only use grub. I have multi -booted with lilo forever. Currently I boot Mandrake, xp, and SuSE. I have had as many as 4 different os's. My lilo resides on the mbr, and I've had no issue with windex, from 98se to xp. Of course, if you must re-load windex (which you undoubtedly will eventually in order to fix it), there are some precautions to take, like removing lilo before doing any repair work in windex. Reinstall it when done.

Install went well.

Just for the record I kept LILO, it worked fine.

Then updated kernel, LILO added the new kernel so I have the safe option of booting the old kernel had things not gone well.

This is the second kernel update that I have done and LILO did it's job flawlessly both times.

Thanks for all the advice

DW