Hard Drives shut off completely during reboot

santner

I built the 2.6.6 kernel, and when I reboot both of my hard drives shut off completely. Then I have to wait an additional 5 seconds(I know, no big deal just slightly irritating) for the drives to start back up while the BIOS is doing its POST test. However, the Install from the CD(kernel 2.6.3) doesn't do this. Any idea how to change this? :jester:

I presume that your distribution's init scripts take the HD down on purpose. But it looks like they coded it bad-way so that it also shuts them down (i.e. with hdparm -y /dev/hda) when in reboot (init 6) besides poweroff (init 0) mode.

I am not 100% sure about the usefulness of shutting them off, but IMO it's obvious that letting the HDs spin down themselves using an IDE command is better than hitting the magic button (which is the same as a BIOS shutoff), because giving the IDE command gives the HD the possibility to clean everything up, i.e. write buffers, SMART info, etc.

Look into /etc/init.d/halt and look for hdparm or anything else (possibly comments) that say 'will powerdown the HD'