Kpackage for mandrake 10

arriagga

Have you tried looking for it with urpmi or in Mandrake Control Centre > Software > Installing software?

Try 'urpmi kpackage' from the command line, if you can't find it in MCC (you'll have to set urpmi up first if you haven't already done so)

The kdeadmin-kpackage rpm is on CD 4.

When you setup your urpmi sources:

http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php

add 'main' to your sources. Then you'll be able to install it using urpmi or the graphical mode in Mandrake Control Centre.

If you are done, you can disable (not deleting) this source (mcc), until you need it the next time. ftp 'main' contains all rpms from cd 1 - cd 4.

Good luck.

AFAIK, kpackage doesn't play with urpmi at all. I think it is a front-end to rpm, but it doesn't do anything about dependencies other than tell you what they are, whereas urpmi finds all your dependencies for you, if you have everything set up correctly. If you use Gnome, gurpmi acts like urpmi in a GUI - solves deps, all that kind of stuff.

yep kpackage is nice for reading the RPM's in an explorer kinda way but I then use CLI top actually install and deinstall.

its more involved than MCC add/remove SW but its more control and more logical to me to have installed and new in the same place.

In debian I use kpackage lots and it plays nicely with apt.

Its really up to mandrake to make a urpmi interface part like debian did for apt ... not only that its a step towards universal package management.