KDE desktop sharing broken in mdk10?

papaschtroumpf

I can't get the KDE desktop sharing working in mdk 10.0 official powerpack.

the old "rfbdrake" works but the built in solution (which uses kdenetworks-krfb) doesn't work.

An ethereal trace shows that it tried to do a DNS lookup for the client and fails (which is understandable because the client is on the same LAN with no DNS lookup setup).

I had this working fine in 9.2.

Mode Note: Moved from software by phunni

Edited by Qchem

have you tried just putting in the IP?

did you modify /etc/hosts so that the hostname automatically resolves to the IP of the other machine?

i.e.:

192.168.x.x      mybox

yes, it doesn;t work. It looks like reverse-DNS doesn't use the hosts file.

How do I install the source rpm so that I can look at the code?

I did urpmi "kdenetwork-3.2-17.1.100mdk.src.rpm", it prompted me for a bunch of dependencies (which I find weird) but sasid OK, but now I don;t see the source. I would have expected it to show up in /usr/src. What am I doing wrong? I've never "unpacked" source rpms before.

Edited by papaschtroumpf

yes, the two boxes ping and work just fine. In fact if I run x0rfbserver (the ancestor to the KDE desktop sharing) I can connect just fine.

I do connect by IP address, but the issue is that the *server* is issuing a reverse-DNS query which doesn't get answered since the client is on the same LAN and uses a non routable address (172.16....). My best guess is that the server is trying to log something like "connection request from hostname" instead of simply logging the IP address.

• 10 months later...