A different booting question.

bigjohn

In all other versions of mandrake that I've used (8.2, 9.0, 9.1, etc etc), I've been able to fire up the mandrake control centre, go into the /boot section and modify the entries in the bootloader.

It now appear's that if I do that, I just get a sort of default offering that only seem's to have windows and floppy in it - as if it's like trying to run drakboot as a wizard, and that I'm supposed to add my own entries.

Now this install is also the first time I've had mandrake configured to it has /boot, /swap, /root and /home partitions. Would this be anything to do with it?

I appreciate that I can do this using VI or something, by just modifying the /etc/lilo.conf, but I prefer to use the excellent graphical tool's as provided by mandrake, so how would I do that ?

regards

John

Nope, that just seem's to offer a check box for "clean /tmp at every boot" and a dialogue input for the precise ram and then tell's me it's found 768 meg's.

I'm still at a loss, would there be a lilo.conf on the hda2 /boot partition?

regards

John

Hum!

I suppose that mean's that I'd have to modify it there, as "they" seem to have changed thing's, so that the drakboot facility only offers the options of windows and floppy when you start it, it doesn't seem to show the whole of the current boot options like it used to in earlier versions.

Maybe it's the way that I've got things configure, but I can't see that.

Curious

regards

John

the easiest way to edit/modify lilo is just opening the /etc/lilo.conf file as root (either with kdesu & a text editor or in terminal with vi), IMHO. if you use KDE, you can also modify it via Kontrol Center->system->boot loader & click the "administrator mode" button. just remember to run lilo -v in terminal as root after you edit it, no matter which method you use, then reboot for changes to take effect.

Chris

Wow, now that I find rather curious chris z,

just looked at your suggestion and it look like how drakboot used to work, except now I can't make it (drakboot) view all the installed OS's like it did in previous mandrake versions. As I say, while I prefer to do the mod's graphically, I can do them manually with VI or kate or something, so it's not a problem "per se", but it seems rather strange that kde is doing what drakboot used to do (and of course it could also be my current config?) - a bit "retro" if you ask me, still I don't really care if it's kde or mandrake's offerings that mean I can accomplish something quickly, efficiently and with a full understanding of what I'm doing.

But still a little weird.

Does anyone have a decent link as to where I can find an understandable list of definitions of "append" line options?

regards

John

in all honesty, looking at the lilo man pages is your best bet for various lilo commands & parameters.............. man lilo in terminal as root.

here's about the best thing i could come up with by Googling that explains things......... Lilo boot parameters

just click the "next" button on that page & the few following pages for an assortment of parameters that you can use & definitions of what they do.

Chris