K3b won't burn

kilimanjaro

just guessing here at the moment, but did you try ps -aux from terminal as root? look for the process cdrecord to see if it's still running. if so, kill it, then try burning again. also, are you trying to burn as user or root? if it's user, try as root & see if you can burn. if so, did you add you (user) to the burning rights during the last part of k3b setup? that's all i can think of at the moment. if none of the above applies/works, start k3b from terminal (just type k3b & hit enter). post back with any errors it spits out.

Chris

I had K3b working fine earlier, but I had to reinstal 10.0 and it saved all of my settinds, so I didn't have to go through the set up again. It allows me to do everything as a normal user, it just gets an error when it tries to burn. I will check the other things you mentioned, and I did look through the thread about yopur problems with K3b. I have only ever got it to work once and when it does it is really nice, but it is such a bitch to get it working.

ok. let's back track a bit...............

what version of mdk are you using? what kernel? if it's a 2.6.x kernel, do you by any chance have scsi emulation in your lilo.conf? 2.6 kernels don't use scsi emulation, so that might be buggering it up. look in /etc/lilo.conf at the "append=" line & if anything says "hd(X)=ide-scsi", remove that, save it, run lilo -v from terminal as root, reboot then try to burn again. if that's not the problem, then i'm almost ready to suggest uninstalling k3b & cdrecord, then try reinstalling them fresh & doing a fresh setup for k3b. if i think of anything else in the mean time, i'll post back.

Chris

Ok I am using 10.0 OE and I had K3b working before in 10.0 and then I had some problems and I had to reinstall. Since then K3b hasn't worked. I have uninstalled K3b and cdrecord and then reinstalled. I don't know what you are talking about for scusi..scummy, what ever it is, so you might need to talk slowly using small words. I have never had to mess with lilo before either.

i'm almost out of ideas...........

since you say you had k3b running fine in an earlier install of 10.0, that almost leads me to believe that scsi is not the culprit. without boring you too much with details, scsi emulation was needed on versions of pre 2.6.x kernels for (e)ide drives. basically, it told the kernel to use modules that emulated an scsi type device on an (e)ide drive. if you want to know what ide/scsi are, here's the definitions.........

(E)IDE.......... Abbreviation of either "(Enhanced) Intelligent Drive Electronics" or "(Enhanced) Integrated Drive Electronics", depending on who you ask. An IDE interface is an interface for mass storage devices, in which the controller is integrated into the disk or CD-ROM drive.

SCSI.............. Short for "small computer system interface".  SCSI interfaces provide for faster data transmission rates (up to 80 megabytes per second) than standard serial and parallel ports. In addition, you can attach many devices to a single SCSI port, so that SCSI is really an I/O bus rather than simply an interface.

ok, enough with the history lesson. just to make sure it's not an ide/scsi issue, use Konqueror in superuser mode (from terminal, as root, type konqueror then hit enter). go to your /etc/ directory & look for a text file called lilo.conf. open it with any text editor. several lines down the file, look for a line that starts with "append= blah, blah, blah........." in that line, look for something that might say "hd(X)=ide-scsi" (where X would be the letter of your cdburner. it could be A, B, C, etc.). if you have that line in your "append=" section, remove the "hd(x)=ide-scsi" part ONLY. if you remove it, leave a space between whatever went before & came after it. save the lilo.conf file, then in terminal as root type lilo -v & hit enter. reboot, then try to burn.

if that does not apply, here's 2 other thoughts. look in both your /home/(you)/.kde/share/config/ & /root/home/.kde/share/config/ directories for a text file called k3b. (it might be k3brc..........i'm at work & can't check right now). delete those files if they exist, then try k3b. they are kde specific settings files for k3b, so you won't be harming the program. they will rebuild next time you start k3b.

if that didn't work, then look in /home/(you)/ & /root/home/ for a k3b directory & delete those. those are your k3b personal settings directories. if you delete those, you'll have to run k3b as root & go through the setup procedure again.

other than that, i'm currently stumped. if anything else comes to mind, i'll post back. please post with any further successes or failures/problesm you are having.

Chris

and yet another thought from the deep, dark recesses of my mind.........

if nothing has worked for you thus far, you could also try a complete unistall of all things cd burning related. that list would include the following........

k3b

cdrecord

cdrtools (may not have this, but check anyway)

cdrdao (for disc at once recording)

cdparanoia (to prevent overburns, buffer overflows, etc.)

mkisofs (iso burning software)

then reinstall all of the above, starting with cdrecord, then on down the list, installing k3b last. i'm not sure, but i think some of the above are dependant upon each other, so you may get 1 or more as depends with the other.

EDIT: here's another something for you to try. can you burn audio with any other cd burning apps? xcdroast? gcombust? can you burn data? try it with another app. if you can burn with another app, then we could at least (almost) be certain that it's a k3b specific problem & not the cd burning software, since they all use the same software to burn. they're just different GUI front ends.

that, my friend, is the last thing i can come up with. as always, if anything else pops into my head, you'll be the second to know.

Chris

Edited by chris z

Actually I can burn from Nautilus cd burner.

I found this:

# File generated by DrakX/drakboot

# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this file

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

default="linux"

keytable=/boot/us.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux"

root=/dev/hda1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux-nonfb"

root=/dev/hda1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk

label="263-7"

root=/dev/hda1

initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img

append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="failsafe"

root=/dev/hda1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 devfs=nomount"

read-only

other=/dev/fd0

label="floppy"

unsafe

what is this telling me? I have been looking at your thread on scsi emulators, but this doesn't seem to match what you gave as an example.

Actually I don't know if my other burners are working, because I now cannot get my drives to read anything. I have a dvd and a cdrw, and I am using flux box so normally I just type in: /mnt/cdrom but this no longer works.

I am going to make the mother of all fxck-ups and assume it is the same problem, and it has to do with scsi. :help:

that's your lilo.conf file. it all looks fine to me. did you edit the lilo.conf file in any way? if so, you have to go to a terminal as root & type........... lilo -v , then hit enter & reboot. if you didn't edit the lilo file, then don't worry about scsi. unless, of course, you are using the 2.4 kernel which 10.0 gives you the option of doing. in terminal as root type.............. uname -a & tell me what version of the kernel you are currently running. if it shows a 2.4.x kernel then we're back to the scsi stuff. if it shows 2.6.x then there's no need for it. if it does show you are running the 2.6.x kernel, then i am thoroughly stumped. it might have to do with a k3b incompatability with fluxbox. i'm not sure. i don't use fluxbox so i never tried to burn with k3b in it. for spits & giggles, try booting into KDE & running k3b & see if it works also.

if it's not a 2.4 kernel issue & you still can't burn in KDE, then i'm gonna have to pass this on to somebody else unless i have an epihpany of sorts, because i honestly can't think of any other reasons for k3b to not be working if you have tried everything i suggested so far.

if something else does come to me, i'll post it. please post back with your running kerenl version.

Chris

• 6 months later...
Guest amajorov

To try to help anyone who might be inclined to help me, here's some stuff that seems relevent but that I don't have the Linux chops to interpret:

The ide-scsi emulation into the kernel is now deprecated and must not be used to burn on IDE burners. You must now use the ATA interface (preferably over ATAPI which does not support DMA and forbid any high speed burning). With cdrecord (or any burning frontends, check that you have selected the ATA interface for your burner. With cdrecord, you can do a cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATA to perform a scan on your IDE buses, and cdrecord -dev=/dev/hdc -v image.iso to burn an ISO image on your burner (replace /dev/hdc with the appropriate device for your burner)

If found this at the release notes for 10.0 and can't quite figure it out.

Would this result in some of problems listed above? An inability to burn ISOs?

I'd prefer to use K3B since it came with the distribution but I don't know how make K3B "use the ATA interface" if it isn't or how to tell if it is.