brand new system, home-built

There is one other possibility that should be considered, and that is that the ram needed to be seated better. Simply pulling it out and re-inserting it into the slot might be enough. When I build a machine, I actually insert stuff twice. Ram manufacturers allow different tolerances for performance. Samsung and toshiba have a narrower tolerance than someone like Seimens. In fact, Seimens will market the rejects from companies like Samsung. Certain boards only allow a narrow tolerance. (Soyo is one) The difference between PC2700 (333) and PC3200 (400) is unnoticable. Going from PC100 to those speeds is noticable.

I just tried swappingout the old DDR256 for the new DDR400 to see if re-seating it would work, as Ix suggested. Booted up OK, FC2 loaded OK, but after that - forget it. Nothing worked. Gnome wouldn't even keep running.

Stuck the old DDR back in and everything works great again. Guess it either has to be an incompatible DDR with the mobo, or else its just a bad DDR module.

Anyway, now its time to have fun with my new machine...!