network card problem with mandrake10

hugosantos

OK - eth0 is up, your routing table is correct, and flashing lights mean something is getting out - fine so far.

Can you ping FROM windows? We need to know if windows can talk to Linux.

If you are unsure how to do it, go to start->run and type "cmd" (in winXP, for 9x type "command")

Then a terminal window will appear. Type "ping 192.168.0.1" followed by "ping 192.168.0.5"

Chris

Then unless I am missing something, you need to check your physical network.

First unplug everything and check you have the correct cables - the coloured wires should be 'straight through' ie pin 1 to pin 1. 2->2, 3->3 etc. If pin 1 goes to pin 3 (and 2->6), you have a crossover cable.

Make sure you have not plugged a straight through cable in to the hub uplink port.

Try different hub ports.

As you have only 2 computers to join together, you can use a crossover cable and connect the computers directly to each other - this will eliminate the hub - perhaps that is faulty.

Try new cables

If this doesn't work, I have run out of ideas for now...

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Well, many thanks for the concern regarding my MDK10 problem.

Unfortunatly, and as I predicted, the problem is MDK.

I had no success connecting it to my LAN and to my Proxyserver using the networking card.

With the same hardware and without touching any cable or HUB I've just installed SUSE9.1 : I'm amaized to see how this OS installs everything including, lan setup and SMB client configuration without any kind of user configuration action. Even much better than WINDOWS!!!

I was incredibly surprised to see my WINDOWS shares on the network browsing tool automatically.

Congratulations SUSE team! you've won a fan because a good software is the one that gives fast results!

Sorry MDK users... keep up the good effort. Or change to something that really works!