Dead CMOS battery -- Can't install

Guest H'bert

Guest H'bert

I'm trying to install a a cut down installation on a Pentium 166 with 48 megs of RAM. The problem is that the CMOS battery is dead, so every time the computer restarts, the BIOS reverts to default settings. Here's the problem: The default boot order is C, A. So the Harddrive boots before the floppy does. So I can't even use a boot disk. Currently the computer has Windows 98 on it. Is there any way I can get Linux on this computer without being able to boot either from a CD or a floppy? Is there an installer that launches from Windows that will allow me to repartion, install etc. and have only Linux left after?

Network installation might be possible, but can I repartition and format through a network connection? Anyone have any links regarding installation via network?

Aargh! Can't even use a bootdisk!

H'bert

Guest H'bert

I'm going to go out and attempt to get a new battery, but incase I can't get one in a timely manner (this computer needs to be set up ASAP) can anyone give me a work around given that I can't boot from either a CD or floppy?

H'bert

Guest H'bert

All the other possible solutions involve temporarily removing the ability for the computer to boot from the HD so it must look at the floppy (as it is second in the boot order). The problem though, is that if it doesn't work I'll have quite a dead computer until I can get a battery and even then, restoring the ability to boot to the harddrive can be troublesome.

I know what the battery looks like and will have no problem getting it out, but there may be a delay before I can go pick one up. As this computer is used in the computer room of a homeless shelter/drop-in so people can type up their resume and search for jobs on the internet, I can't really have any down time other than to install Linux during the small time that the computer room is closed.

H'bert

You must replace the battery. Changes in the bios cause a reboot, which zeros out the changes. There is no work around.

Guest H'bert

I'll get a battery eventually. Till then, windows 98 will have to remain on this computer. Ah well.

@Ixthusdan: The link in your signature is broken.

Edited by H'bert