upgrade to Mandrake 9.0 to 10.0

juanchor

Hi all

I couldn't do it. This is what I have done so far:

I tried to install Mandrake 10.0 Official. The installation started fine, detected that I have Mandrake 9.0 (Dolphin) already installed, then looked at the RPM database and went to install the 10.0 RPMs upgrading old ones as needed... but then I get error messages like:

"Package xxxxx.rpm couldn't be installed. Do you want to continue with installation anyway? [Yes] [No]"

I clicked Yes for some RPMs, then read that the RPM having problems was the kernel one :screwy:! And clicked No... then it started over again with error messages like that and I finally removed the boot diskette and did a hard reboot.

Bad media? I would say not, because I checked the md5sums after downloading the ISO and it was exactly the same as in the FTP server. And it is a Verbatim CD-R, not a princo one :P.

Mandrake 9.0 still works fine (I'm writing this from it), although it says something about RAID when mounting my /home partition (it didn't before, and I don't have any RAID disks).

Anyone trying the same? I wouldn't mind formatting my root partition and starting over with 10.0... but then would it mount my /home partition properly?

And what's about that bug in 10.0 that may make Windows (yes, that... OS?) not boot? Is it fixed in Official?

I have to boot Windows... ok my brothers have :P and they would go really mad if they couldn't boot their beloved OS.

So, to summarize:

Anyone did upgrade to 10.0 from 9.0 succesfully (or know how to do it)? If can dual boot windows and linux after installation, better ;)

My partitions:

dev/hda1: windows 98 SE (FAT32)

dev/hda5: ext3 (mount point /)

dev/hda6: linux swap

dev/hda7: ext3 (mount point /home)

P.S: Not everything was bad: I had input from my wacom graphire 2 tablet during the 10.0 installation. In 9.0 I had to unplug every USB device before installing, then plug them again

Thank you very much, I think I will play around a bit with this... :juggle:

don't bother trying to upgrade, I've tried it a couple of times and it's never worked properly.

You've got separate /root and /home partitions so just go for an install, when it get's to the part about partitions, just select the "use existing partitions" offering, then it should then ask you which partition you want to format, just tell it to format the /root partition.

Finish the install, then log in as normal. Any of you're own selections (app's and/or shortcut's) that don't work, then that's telling you that you'll need to install that facility as an additional i.e. it wasn't installed by default.

done it twice today and it's worked fine.

regards

John

Thank you, I tried that but it seems it's a bad media problem after all. Just curious, I can run the installation all right until the package installation step, then -I think- EVERY RPM fails :oops: . And I could browse it's contents perfectly even the RPMS directory when mounted under Mandrake 9.0. Weird. I'll try burning another CD-R or asking a friend to do it. I could install again Mandrake 9.0 but I think it isn't worth the effort :juggle:.

Thank you anyway

That's what I'm going to do. But it was burnt waaaay slow, 4x (my CD-burner is an old one and can't do more). I'll try another CD-R brand, the one that worked with mdk 9.0. And going down to 2x maybe. Duuuuhhh 40 minutes to burn a CD... if that doesn't work, I'll reinstall 9.0 and wait for 10.1 ;)

Thanks

If you have an older burner, that could be it; but I'm not sure. The combination of an old burner and new media could cause problems on burned cd's.

If you have the money, pick up a newer burner. They're not that expensive and it might work better for you.

Absolutely no go. I tried burning at 2x in CDrWIN to then find my CD to be an audio CD (?) with a 44 bytes long audio cd track on it (!!??). Maybe you are right, LiquidZoo. My burner seems to not like current media, and burners aren't expensive, in fact they are cheap nowadays ;). And I have googled a bit and found some guys burn at "slow" speeds like 32x! and find their CDs working. But I already erased the ISO and don't want to bother downloading it and trying to burn yet once more.

Next time, when I have the time and will to do it, I'll try a network install, hope it works fine.

Thank you for your help guys! :)

Hatepe: yes, as I said, I have a Wacom Graphire 2 USB tablet. Didn't try that, I remember that Mandrake 9.0 installation wouldn't even start the graphical installation if any USB device was plugged in. But it seems it isn't the case for my 10.0 CD1. I unplugged every USB device, then tried to install with my good ol' 5€ worth PS/2 mouse. It failed just as before, when installing packages. A bad burn, or maybe the fault comes my CDROM reader that is LG? Whatever. Ah and my tablet worked fine during the installation... as far as I got.

Another issue: I attempted a network install. It went fine -sssloooowwww but fine-, but before the RPM installation I had to abort it -someone else needed the computer and it was going to take some hours for sure-. Ctrl-alt-backspace to kill the Xserver and let it unmount partitions and kill processes, then ctrl-alt-del to reboot... and I found the famous L 99 99 99 99 99... screen. Had to boot from a win98 boot disk and enter fdisk /mbr. Could it be the installation? I didn't get to the bootloader step... Or maybe it was because I had pressed ctrl-alt-del to reboot sometimes during the LILO splash screen? Hmmmm... I'm starting to get frightened by the 10.0 installation... no way, I hope to greet you soon from my 10.0 setup ;)

Thank you

Greetings from my network-installed Mandrake 10.0 Official :D!

I did it at last... but now my wacom tablet seems to not work, and the only workaround seems to be a new kernel download -2.6.3.13, wasn't it? I read it on these forums. I hope I manage to get my tablet working... :juggle: having to press alt+F12 to get mouse emulation is annoying! :P

Well, this was just to say hello. Good bye :)