Post-installation issues...

inigo2

Hi, not sure what category I should put this in, it seems to fit a few of them....Here's the problem: I installed 10.0 Official last night (previously had 9.2 installed, but did a clean install). Whatever I did, I'm having trouble getting networking functioning correctly (have a wireless connection to the outside, and a wired connection to a local lan). But that's not why I'm posting. I logged into KDE, and clicked on "Configuration Tools" in the welcome window, hoping I could figure things out myself. It came back with an error, "Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder file:/usr/share/applnk-mdk/System/Configuration/Configure your computer.desktop does not exist". And that's reason 1 why I came to the "installation problems" forum.

Reason 2, is the fact that my keyboard doesn't quite act right; somewhat frequently, it appears to freak out, and acts as if I was holding a key down. Any ideas?

Thanks much....

open a terminal (konsole should do) and type:

su

and enter your root password when prompted. after successfully changed to root, run:

mcc

which will bring up the Mandrake Control Center. This will provide you with what you need to take care of configuring things correctly. I would check on your keyboard settings in there - not sure if that is the source of the problem, just a guess.

strange....hmm...are you really settled in? I'd suggest a reinstall, and check the md5sums of your cd's before burning. If you haven't made any changes since the install you shouldn't get that error.

what does;

rpm -qa | grep drak

say? Does it show drakxtools?

[root@localhost root]# urpmf /usr/lib/libDrakX/ugtk2.pm
drakxtools:/usr/lib/libDrakX/ugtk2.pm
[root@localhost root]#

if so, have you gotten all the updates yet?

As root do;

ls -a /usr/lib/libDrakX/

in a terminal. Is it there?

Edited by bvc

Also, along with what bvc suggests, if you have a short in your keyboard, that can really create some amazing things while installing an os. So check out your keyboard.

Not _real_ settled in, but hoping to avoid a reinstall...not the quickest machine, and it takes awhile..

bvc:

It looks like those things check out. I think I have everything updated as well...

On the plus side, I've managed to get the network working, and my keyboard seems to have stopped messing up... Still would be nice to have the graphical config options, since I'm still somewhat of a newbie, but (assuming I can get the network sharing working now) I guess I can deal...

Thanks all for your suggestions, and I'm open for any other ideas..

-dan

Okay, a little egg on my face -- I didn't have everything updated. Now, though, I'm sure I do. And after updating, I'm getting a different error when trying to run mcc (from root):

INTERNAL ERROR: can't find splash_screen

MDK::Common::Various::internal_error() called from /usr/lib/libDrakX/ugtk2.pm:603

ugtk2::gtkcreate_img() called from /usr/sbin/drakconf.real:90

I can't decide if this a step forwards or backwards...maybe sideways?

This acts like a bad rpm problem, bad download problem. I would be tempted to download the Draketools rpm and force a reinstall.