Basic Dling Questions

I am currently interested in also trying Suse and Gentoo. I don't have to worry about checking signatures because k3b does that automatically when burning.

The problem is when I download the boot.iso for suze its the only cd. You have to do an ftp install which I don't want to do. I want it to be like mandrake when I have all the cds ready to just put in and out.

The confusion I have with gentoo is I can't find the right directory to download them. They have x86's and other processors mixed in all their directories and it makes no sense to me. I am currently running a Athlon XP. So I guess I should select that, but I never did select that with Mandrake. Mandrake worked on AMDS, and Pentiums alike. Which directory has the right gentoo isos for Pentiums and AMDS?

Could you point me to a few sites already in the right directory?

Thanks,

SwiftDeath

[moved from Networking by spinynorman]

The problem is when I download the boot.iso for suze its the only cd. You have to do an ftp install which I don't want to do. I want it to be like mandrake when I have all the cds ready to just put in and out.

that's how SuSe is. they don't make cd ISO's publicly available - the only (legal) way to obtain CD's is by purchasing it (try going to SuSe's website, they should have a store).

The confusion I have with gentoo is I can't find the right directory to download them. They have x86's and other processors mixed in all their directories and it makes no sense to me. I am currently running a Athlon XP. So I guess I should select that, but I never did select that with Mandrake. Mandrake worked on AMDS, and Pentiums alike. Which directory has the right gentoo isos for Pentiums and AMDS?

Could you point me to a few sites already in the right directory?

If you are looking to install Gentoo and are new to Linux you really should read the handbook before installing to make sure you're prepared for what lies ahead - it should also answer your questions regarding the CD's. Installing gentoo is no easy task, it's very time-consuming. If you have questions, I suggest joining the IRC channel. vampyregeek, HJ and myself are all experienced with gentoo (along with others who lurk in there at times). vampyregeek is experienced with SuSe.

Hmm.... I guess with Suse I'll have to wait a while before I'm ready to attempt that.

Well I read the manual and it looks like I'll try the precompiled ones for the Athlon XP'S, the stage 3 one, because I am bad with Linux and maybe when I get better with Linux I'll try a stage 1. Thanks, because trying to download Gentoo was not making any sense at all. I also like the fact that Gentoo is only one cd! :D Very convient.