Emulate 5.1 surround sound with mp3's?

Guest simultech

Guest simultech

Hi, Im new to linux and dont really know too much about the whole alsa caper.

What I was wondering was is it possible to get mp3's to be spat out via front and rear channels? both of these channels works, its just getting them to work together :) I am using XMMS and mplayer, thanks.

• 5 months later...
Maybe this'll help:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=FAQ028

If you need a more 'newbie-ized' explanation, don't be afraid to ask.

Sorry, but I need a more 'newbie-ized' explanation to this problem.

I read the page you referred to and also the following page: http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=.asoundrc

First, I don't have an .asoundrc file in my user home directory (nor anywhere else). So I copied /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf to my user home directory and renamed it to ".asoundrc"

After that I am not able to get any sound out of xmms. only a "default device" is listed in alsa output plugin configuration dialog and it does not work. i tried add the pcm.ch51dup entry into ".asoundrc". after selecting it (i.e typing "ch51dup") in xmms alsa output plugin configuration dialog i realized that it still does not work.

if I rename .asoundrc to sth else I get my old devices back in alsa output plugin configuration dialog and everything works again, though not in surround mode.

the second thing i did was to create an empty file called ".asoundrc" and I put only the following lines into that file:

pcm.ch51dup {

type route

slave.pcm surround51

slave.channels 6

ttable.0.0 1

ttable.1.1 1

ttable.0.2 1

ttable.1.3 1

ttable.0.4 0.5

ttable.1.4 0.5

ttable.0.5 0.5

ttable.1.5 0.5

}

after selecting it (i.e typing "ch51dup") in xmms alsa output plugin configuration dialog i realized that it still does not work.

I am out of ideas. what should i do to get music into all 5.1 system speakers with xmms?