System does not boot after restore from backup

Guest larry

I need some help. I backed up my MDK 9 partition using Norton Ghost. The backup seemed to go very well as Norton is set up to handle Linux partitions.

Next, I restored from the backup and the system gives me the usual initial screen at bootup which allows me to choose from the boot options. This part is fine.

Next it goes to the actual bootup, and this comes up immediately:

EXT3-fs: journal inode is deleted.

Mount: error 22 mounting ext3 flags kernel panic: No init found.

Try passing INIT= option to kernel.

At that point, the system freezes up and goes no further. Does anyone know what is happening here, and how to make the restore work properly?

Thanks,

Larry

I got the exact same error 2 or 3 days ago when I compiled my kernel. Well, it wasn't exactly the same but instead of being related to ext3 is was related to reiserfs. I think that Norton Ghost altered the FS and now the kernel isn't able to mount the root partition (/).

I really don't know what you could do other than try to boot from the 'failsafe' option or from the floppy you created when you first installed Mandrake.

Have you changed your HD partitions since you made the image? Like did you reformated something? Because if you made an image of hda7 for instance and now you put that image in hda1 then you have to change some stuff before to be able to boot it properly.

You should not use Norton Ghost btw, this isn't really a linux frendly program as you see. I sugest you use Partimage. This is what I use and this is really powerfull with Linux. It support EXT2 and 3, ReiserFS and many more as well as Fat32.. lol

http://www.partimage.org/

MOttS

Okay, I downloaded the ISO image to PartImage and burned a bootable CD. When I finish specifying the parameters and hit F5, a screen comes up with an error message telling me to check that the destination has enough space and that I have permission to write to it. The drive is my second hard drive and has lots of space available. Its partition was set up using FDISK and formatted as FAT32.

How are you able to use PartImage?

-- Larry

Hmmm, not sure where you are at..

In order to restore from partimage, you have to backup from partimage first. You were using ghost so you won't be able to restore a ghost image with partimage if that is what you are attempting?

As far as partition size, the rule is that the restore partition has to be at least the same size or larger than the original.

BTW, was that window's FDISK?

I really don't know what you could do other than try to boot from the 'failsafe' option or from the floppy you created when you first installed Mandrake.

Have you changed your HD partitions since you made the image? Like did you reformated something?  Because if you made an image of hda7 for instance and now you put that image in hda1 then you have to change some stuff before to be able to boot it properly.

Have you tried those suggestions?

Did you reformat something?

I guess my last post wasn't clear, Cannonfodder. Late-night sleep-deprived posts can sometimes be that way.

Anyway, the problem is that I can't make a backup image using Partimage because the program keeps telling me it is unable to create a .tmp file. It says to check that I have access to the destination drive (where I want to create the image) and to make sure the destination drive has enough space.

The drive definitely has a lot of free space available. Does it have to be formatted as a Linux partition before I can write an image to it? It's the second IDE drive on my system, showing up as hdb1 on Partimage's GUI list of partitions, and it is formatted as FAT32. I also tried creating an image on one of the existing Linux partitions (hda1, hda6) and the same error comes up. This happens right before the backup is to begin, when I hit F5.

MottS, I tried the failsafe option and my system still freezes up with the same boot error. I did not change the hard drive in any way between the backup and restore. Actually, I was checking to see if a backup/restore using Norton Ghost would work as well with Linux as it does with Window$, and apparently it does not.

Thanks,

Larry

You have to boot the partimage cd to backup your linux partition. Otherwize you'll backup the /proc and /dev directory and they aren't necessary. So boot your partimage boot disk and mount the partition where you want to write the backup. For example, if you want to write the backup to a fat32 hda7 type

mount -t vfat /dev/hda7 /mnt

Then you can start the partimage prog by typing 'partimage'. Once the backup is finished, then reboot LInux and burn the image.

MOttS

Thanks MottS. I wasn't doing the mount, so I'll try that over the weekend after I get home. I guess Linux newbies such as myself sometimes need a litte extra help in figuring these things out.

Appreciate your help, guys!

Larry

Hey guys,

During the weekend, I did a backup and restore of my MDK partitions using Partition Image, and it worked perfectly. This program is fast, it's free, and it just plain ROCKS! :shock: What more can you ask?

Thanks for all your time and helpful information. :D

-- Larry