Guest icecube76

Guest icecube76

im using BIttorrent and MDK 10.0

but the download rate is so slow about 3KiB/s

how to make it faster ,the torrent rate is so high

thare is more than 500 seeders

regards

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome to the board :) ]

I don't use bit torrent, but the first thing that springs to mind is how are you connecting to the internet?

If you are on a 56kb dial up connection, 3 to 5 kBs is about all you will ever get.

If you have a faster connection, then I don't know :)

Chris

Guest CHAOSACES

I would assume that the server you speak of is being used as a gateway server for the system you're trying to use bt on? If so, and you have permission to use the server directly, try running bittorrent on that machine and see if you get better speeds. Or, just set up the box you want to download with to connect directly to your isp with pppoe. Either way, if the speed improves then you know that the bottleneck is the gateway, and you might want to look into the firewall settings on the gateway server.

Guest icecube76

yes it's a gateway server and a web server .

in the firewall settings i only enabled http

in /etc/services i cant find the ports 6881-6999 listed

any idea what to do?

You need to open ports 6881-6889, now I don't use Mandrake wizards, because of the potential for them to mess up, (or bittorrent for that matter) but I expect that if you go to the Mandrake control center (mcc)->security->firewall and choose advanced, you could type in 6881:6999/tcp.

And it may all work...

Chris

Edited by streeter

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Danomatic

As mentioned above, make sure you get the right port range opened up.

Secondly, you'll need to make a change to BitTorrent's download.py file.

I at work so I'm going from memory but I believe its located at /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/BitTorrent .. I'll try to remember to verify/correct this when I get home. (Location corrected)

What you'll need to change in the download.py file is the Max Upload Rate (or something close to that). The default value is 0 (which means unlimited). You should change this to about 80% of your actual upload bandwidth in kiloBYTES (not bits).

[The exact line looks like this..

('max_upload_rate', 0,

'maximum kB/s to upload at, 0 means no limit'),

]

For example, if you have a standard 128Kb (kilobit) upload rate then divide 128 by 8 (this converts bits to bytes). This gives us 16KB (kilobytes). Now multiply 16 by 80% (or 0.80) and we get 12.8. Round down to 12 and that will be the value you insert into the Max Upload Rate line.

[The modified line would look like this..

('max_upload_rate', 12,

'maximum kB/s to upload at, 0 means no limit'),

]

Hope this helps. And I'll try to post the exact file location and line to modify when I get home.

EDIT: I've edited the above locations to reflect a standard Mandrake 10.0 install of BitTorrent. The download.py file should be located at /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/BitTorrent . Also posted the exact line from the download.py file.

Edited by Danomatic