Correct fstab entry...

co

I've installed Mandrake 10 along side winxp. Everything went ok. But in my infinite wisdom I decided to format one of my windows partitions from fat32 to nfts (while I was running windows).

Now when I boot into Mandrake it highlights an error saying that it cannot mount drive as it's the wrong file type.

How can I get Mandrake to recognize the drive as ntfs not fat32? There doesn't seem to be an option in mcc to 'reread' the file type only to format the drive which I don't want to do.

Is there a way to change the entry in fstab from fat32 to ntfs?

(The partition is on the first disk, second partition, shown as Win_d)

Any help would be appreciated.

PS I don't want to write to the partition only read.

Cheers

co

AFAIK, once you format to a different file system, you lose all data on that partition. To change the file system, you need to format the drive

On the offchance that I'm wrong, you can edit /etc/fstab as root, look for your "windows" entry and change the file system to NTFS. Here's my windows entry:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

Change "vfat" to "NTFS"

xp and 2k have a conversion utility that allows for fat32 to ntfs (not vice versa)

Yes, they do. But the partition created by conversion is not a good partiton, and can be problematic. Windows says the best bet is to make an ntfs partition and move your data. If it is the resident partition, back up and reformat.