VT6410 ATA133 RAID Controller

Guest dark54555

Guest dark54555

I know a lot of people have been having issues with this controller, but there's a patch here that is supposed to work (unlike VIA's driver, which supposedly does not). But I have a few questions.

I'm running Manrake 10. Which version should I use?

Once I download the file...what do I do with it?

Thanks.

• 11 months later...
Guest roostam

hi there!

i have been struggling to install the via vt6410 on my Mandriva 2005LE. I downloaded the driver from viaarena, now trying to depmod it. But it says "depmod: command not found"!!! I am newbie in linux, so... was not sure. what is the problem?

Guest roostam

i am trying to but it wouldn't allow. i mean not allow but it says that there is now such command as depmod. Also i found that there is no command modprobe in bash either...

by the way, about the first message, i also found a patch (***.patch) but what i do with it?

Edited by roostam

If you are getting 'command not found' for modprobe or depmod, that can only mean that you are trying to run the commands as regular user and not as root. There is absolutely no way you could boot a system that was missing modprobe and/or depmod.

Open a terminal and type

su <<hit the enter key>>

<<type your root password and hit enter....you will not see yourself typing anything>>

You now have the powers of root and your prompt will change from a $ to a # showing that you are root. As for how to apply a patch, the command is usually

patch -p1 /path/to/patch/file

it is good idea to do this first, though:

patch -p1 --dry-run /path/to/patch/file

This will pretend to apply the patch and show exactly what it would do and if it would be successful.

Guest roostam

hmmm. thanks Steve. I did switch to root before using "su -m" before but it didn't work. Now after entering just "su" without options worked flawlessly

Sorry for being annoying, but the patch as i can see in "Kompare" just changes generic.c file by adding some lines. Does it mean that i need to modprobe my driver (viamraid.o) first and then apply patch? Because by just using "patch" nothing happens...

Another thing, i copied viamraid.o (for Mandrake 9.2) to lib/modules/2.6.something/misc then run "depmod -a". Everything seemed to work. When i try to "modprobe viamraid" it says "Module not found". I already tried copying the file to /lib/modules/2.6.../ (it said in modprobe's manual that that is the directory depmod searches for) and tried running depmod/modprobe but it didn't help either.

I have 80GB hard hooked to that f**n controller full of necessary stuff and i am trying to switch from Windows as it crushed in VERY INAPPROPRIATE time, to Linux. I randomly chose Mandriva and i like everything about it. Apart from that there is no driver for VIA 6410 raid controller and i find it hard to find one...

You'll have to run

make modules && make modules_install

after running the patch. Then try adding

viamraid

to /etc/modprobe.preload and reboot. Or, leave it in /etc/modprobe.preload and instead of rebooting do (as root):

rmmod viamraid && modprobe viamraid

There may be a way to just run make on the one module and then copy it in place and depmod -a, then modprobe it, but I'm not 100% sure how to do that. Also, if you get an error, try

depmod -a

and then modprobe it.