NVIDIA video-card: TV with video-in

chris:b

My last hardware challenge with Linux is my somewhat odd video card. I bought this box 2,5 years ago preassembled, it's a supermarkt pc ;-) It's running great with Linux as if it was made for this OS.

So far I didn't care much about tv on a pc. Every now and then I recorded (on Windows XP) a concert.

I don't have a tv-card but my NVIDIA Geforce4 MX 460 has a composite video-in and s-video in. In Winxp I connect our (tv) satellite receiver using a cable with scart/composite video/audio cable, and that's it. I can watch tv and am able to record the stream, uncompressed or compressing on the fly to different video formats.

I once saw rivatv for linux. Too heavy for me.

Today I had a day off, and here's how it's working for me. Mandrake 10.0 Official, kernel 2.6.3-7mdk.

Step 1: After two hours reading and trying to understand the rivatv website, I had the idea to look for the riva kernel modules in /lib/modules. Surprise: they are already there. No need to download, compile and stuff.

- # modprobe rivatv

would lock my box COMPLETELY. Nothing goes.

- solution: disable framebuffer (not that I would know what this is). How?

- In lilo.conf: change the line vga=788 to vga=normal, run lilo -v, reboot.

- # modprobe rivatv dma=1

Step 2: Find an application that let you watch tv.

- tvtime (on the CD): I get the picture, the sound - but there is something terribly wrong. It looks like slow-motion, or loosing many frames. Tried all settings.

- xawtv (on the CD): The default start of xawtv does not show the video stream, nothing. The solution was to start it with arguments: xawtv -noxv -nodga

After fiddling with the settings (video norm etc), I had an acceptable tv picture - but only in a quite small format. When I expand it, the quality is solala. Sound is always ok because line-in is working.

Step 3: How do I record the video/sound stream? Don't know yet.

Anyone out there who has tips or explanations? How do I get better quality? Which application will work without a tv card, but is clever to use /dev/video0? And if I ever want to record, how would I do this? I would like to have a mpeg 1 format, in order to create a (s)vcd?