Samba workgroup configuration

Guest shivohum

Guest shivohum

Hi there. I am a complete newbie to LINUX in general and MDK in particular. I am trying to connect to a windows network from my Mandrake machine, and in order to do so I have to change the workgroup of the Mandrake computer. I've read that in order to do this I have to go edit smb.conf.

But trying to edit smb.conf results in an error message: I can't write the file. Perhaps it's in use? Any ideas?

Another question: I didn't read anything about editing workgroups, or Samba, or webmin or swat (whatever that is... localhost:901 doesn't work for me) in any of the documentation. And yet changing the workgroups to be able to access Windows computers seems to me to be one of the most common tasks when setting up a new computer.

Is there some documentation that I've missed that would walk one through configuration of this simple issue? Or is it required that one search through forums and so on?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, we can't help you with the documentation that comes with the CD's since we're not affiliated with Mandrake, but we can help you with setting up SMB :)

you can't write to the file because only root can write to it. Instead of editing the file, you may find it easier to go into Mandrake Control Center (run mcc or look for it in your menu), go under Networking and/or Mount Points (I can't remember which it's under) and go into the Samba section. This should let you set your workgroup...if I remember correctly.

If this doesn't work, we'll try another way, but I suggest trying this first.

Guest shivohum

Tyme: I was indeed looking for the Samba section in mcc but I couldn't find where to change the workgroup. I still don't know where it is.

Though there was a place to mount network shares. And I tried to. It asked for username/password, which I gave. I saw the relevant shares. I tried to mount one, it seemed to succeed. But when I try to see the /mnt directory in Konqueror (how do you get the file manager in GNOME?) Konqueror freezes for a long long time, refusing to close, and then showed an empty directory. Next time it gave me a SIGSEGV error and still wouldn't close. By the way, how do you kill applications that won't close? Is there a windows "task manager" equivalent in GNOME?

SwiftDeath: Thanks for the webmin info. I already had that, but I couldn't find the place to change workgroups. Do you know where that is?

Thanks.

The route is: MCC -> Server Wizards -> Configure Samba.

The first question asked is the workgroup name. Did you install drakwizard? It is not one of the default packages (goodness knows why). If you have all your samba packages installed you can also go to localhost:901 to configure samba.