Linux windoze look-alikes

Urza9814

I have just started a screenshots section of my linux page at http://www.urza9814.tk , and decided I'm gonna put in pics of Linux that look like windoze, to show ppl they aren't that different...because they really aren't for the average user. I am thinking about then making a quiz to see if people can tell the difference between 'em...so, I'd like any pics you have of anythign windoze or Linux that looks windoze...I have IceWM's XP skin, and QVWM...I'd like a terminal pic and DOS pic too...then just various windoze pics and linux pics...especially weird looking ones...Like, windoze that looks like Linux, linux that looks like windoze...i want most of these to be as hard as possible...but I need some normal ones too i suppose, so ppl don't realize they're all tricks...

Anyways, send 'em to urza9814@fastmail.fm if you've got any!

BTW - i'm blurring out any programs or anything that might give it away (or AIM names and stuff)...so if it has a prog that'd give it away, don't worry about it

urza9814, ever hear of XPde? http://www.xpde.com/shots.php

well, I have now! :P

that's cool...I may have to use a few of their screenshots...the start button is different...but hey, that's half the test...finding the details. the rest is probably pure luck :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest starchaser
Screenshot of my desktop a few weeks ago

Was my wallpaper and i didnt have any windows open.

HI!!!!!!!!

im new here >> anyways I have messed around with my computer trying to install linux and the story of my install can be found here

http://davinci.newcs.uwindsor.ca/~parmar3/free.php

anyways the point being that i was looking around for a good linux pic and i decided to modify your wallpaper a bit :-D

hope thats ok !!!

lin_stamp.jpg

Screenshot of my desktop a few weeks ago

Was my wallpaper and i didnt have any windows open.

HI!!!!!!!!

im new here >> anyways I have messed around with my computer trying to install linux and the story of my install can be found here

anyways the point being that i was looking around for a good linux pic and i decided to modify your wallpaper a bit :-D

hope thats ok !!!

not a problem, i forgot where i found it.

How about a website showing the differences and why Linux is better?

I think spreading the message that they aren't different is wrong. Why do people hate Windows? Viruses, crashes, not-intuitive, etc. Most people use Windows because they think they have to - not because they like it. If you say 'Linux isn't different' (which is not true) then they'll start taking the bad with the good.

So if you showed them that Linux was different because it doesn't crash, doesn't get viruses, etc. - wouldn't that be better?

How about a website showing the differences and why Linux is better?

I think spreading the message that they aren't different is wrong. Why do people hate Windows? Viruses, crashes, not-intuitive, etc. Most people use Windows because they think they have to - not because they like it. If you say 'Linux isn't different' (which is not true) then they'll start taking the bad with the good.

So if you showed them that Linux was different because it doesn't crash, doesn't get viruses, etc. - wouldn't that be better?

Even better, a windows program :P

I made a presentation in Illuminatus Opus,-- its kinda a very simplified Macromedia Flash/Director type thin -- for a school project, it was Multimedia tech and we had to use it.

I did mine on Linux, its pretty sweet, I just need to clean it up a bit then I will upload it.

It's damn good propaganda. :devil:

I'm not saying they're the same...it's just that a lotta people when they look at Linux, think it's really weird...hard to use...some even think it's all text-based...so I'm showing that it's no harder to use than Windoze...

Guest starchaser

i think that showing by example is a great way to learn >> for eg we have a linux tutorial on how to go about installing stuff .. places where one can find resources ... etc :-D

i have yet to find such a place .... anyways linux isn't set up on my machine right now anyways ...

i think that showing by example is a great way to learn >> for eg we have a linux tutorial on how to go about installing stuff .. places where one can find resources ... etc :-D

i have yet to find such a place .... anyways linux isn't set up on my machine right now anyways ...

Take a look at the FAQs right here:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showforum=29